Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I am putting a feeler out ther to see if anyone is interested in a three to four day camping trip to remote Northern Maine. I'm thing towards the end of Nov. I can't give you an idea of what town cause that far up there aren't any town names. Just grid numbers. The area I'm planning on staying in is called the North Maine Woods. There are a few things I would like to check out up there, such as the Allagash Ice Caves, and some abandoned steam locomotives that are over 100 years old. There are a ton of other things to do and see while up there that I can suggest as it gets closer.

The big thing is it's going to be pretty cold and a high probability of snow on the ground. I have been up there before (in the summer) and it is very remote, but so amazing. Here is a website regarding the North Maine Woods.
http://northmainewoods.org

If you have any questions ask away!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wish I could do something like this. If you get some people to join you, it would be one hell of a trip. I frequent the Moosehead Lake area frequently at all times of the year a my buddy has a camp right on the lake right outside of Kokadjo. I have always wanted to explore further on those logging roads. I have been to the old trains in the woods via snowmobiles and it is erie as hell! Definitely something to be seen in person. Oh and end of November is a good chance of snow, but atleast they should be logging and roads will most likely be passible. I hope if you do this pics get posted after.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is probably gonna be snow.

You sure you can get to the trains by trail? I know the snowmobile trails gets you there, just not sure it will be passable, especially at that time of the year.

Maybe interested, depending on dates. Family is from ME and we have a camp up on moosehead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
November camping in the ME townships brings back great memories of deer seasons gone by. Three of us used to hit a spot off the golden road, above Baxter near Chamberlain Lake and spend a week camping/hunting every November for close to 15 years. Most hunts were Thanksgiving week, as vacation was at a premium. We started with a pop-up trailer and learned to line the inside with space blankets and the outside of the wings with tarps, to add insulation. Temperatures dropped occasionally below zero and snow up to 2’ added to the fun. The first year, while we were getting our education , we experienced a lot of rain and we ended up with a micro weather system in the pop-up. Things would dry out in the center by the kerosene heater and the now humid air would circulate to the wings and condense, forming ice in the corners at night and lots of water droplets falling on the beds all day long. We also learned to bring a metal framed chair and a toilet seat that fit. The chair stayed over the hole we dug, while the seat came back to the camper to stay relatively warm. We eventually upgraded to a hard side camper with an integral heater, and even had hot water. But did you know the waste holding tank isn’t heated? So we almost had to resort the metal chair and seat because of the Chitcicle that built up under the toilet in the holding tank.
Not many deer up there but there sure were some nice ones – big bodied to survive the Maine winters. We took a few that made the “Biggest Bucks of Maine” list (yearly list of bucks over 200# weighed on certified scales). My first (and smallest) mature ME paper country buck, an old 4 pt that dressed out about 160#. I believe it was 1986 and the only photo I have handy, taken up country.

We eventually got old and soft and around 2000 we started renting a camp in Patten that was on the grid and even had cell phone coverage. We got gps-es and became down right civilized for a few years.

I miss the solitude, the sound of the ravens and all the Canadian Jays around camp. If you go, have a ball!!

Scott

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I would totally be in on this, however I started working last week and I'm working 6 9 hour shifts a week. I only have sundays off. The job will most likely be over by then, but until it happens I can't really say. Plus my gf's birthday is coming up and idk if she would want to take that trip...I'll ask her, but again idk yet. Also, the FJ run is the end of nov which I WAS planning on going to...but again, I'm not sure whats going on. This def sounds awesome tho.

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a stunning part of Maine. I'd be in for a trip up there in the warmer months of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Planning on that as well! I love Northern Maine, my heart is up there!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Fella's

I know this post is a Month Old. But I am from Maine, We have a local Overland group and we do 4 or so trips a year to the NMW (nothern maine woods) Up on the Golden Road. Normally start In Farmington Maine, And work our way threw some old railroad beds to Moxie, Out Dyer Road into Greenville Jct. Then from there we fill up At the trading post, and head up threw Kokadjo to the Golden road Via- Caribou entrance. Spend some days up there camping,wheelings,hiking, and then work our way out.

If you would like to join up visit us over at www.northeastoverland.forumotion.com everything is free. And a few of the group fella's did the VOT this year (Vermont Overland Trophy)

I'm just starting to get things together to prepare my Xterra for next years expedition/overland adventures coming from doing so in a Dakota.

Here are a few pictures from our Labor Day weekend run. ( leave Friday at 5pm-Sat-Sun-Come home Monday about 5pm)

And these 100ton Locomotives are tucked about 2.2 miles into the woods. its a couple hour hike in (you can not drive to it) and all of a sudden Boom, train tracks, You follow those to these abandoned trains left in IIRC 1936

Sorry for the long post. But if you really want to go on a trip with people that know the area, Join up and we'll get you up there and back.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nice pictures man

I'm always down for a good adventure.

I've seen the website for the VOT, looks like a ton if fun. I'm currently building my rig to eventually do that run. Have you done it before?

I've got no plans to head to Maine in the near future but there's a Mod day on Nov 30, hosted by NOAHVT. Swing by if you can.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have about 175 more pictures as well from that 1 trip.

I have never done VOT. But I know all the people from the club who have done it the club is fairly new.

We branched off from another "wheeling" Club who was just balls to the wall destroy your vehicle, get to the top at all costs kind of club.We like the adventure, the camping, the challenge. And coming home with a rig in 1 piece.

The northeastoverland.org A friend of mine and a couple of his buddys started it up. The club is about 10 months in.

I figured for 1 week in the woods,food,crap ton of gas. extra 5gal of gas. and what not was around $200'ish for 1 week up in NMW. So if you can squeeze it in next year that would be awesome.

I have owned the Xterra for 1week and 1 day as of today. So I am in the planning stages, save up money. etc.. After January I'll probably start buying stuff to get ready for when the snow melts and start installing.

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Overland, you and I will have to talk and get something going for next year! This year didn't happen. Work was slow and now it has picked up. I surely want to do at least a week up there this next time. Im hoping for late June early July. Ive been to the trains, but in the winter, we rode the sleds to em.

Also here is a link for a thread from my last trip up there.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38433

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great guys, Im sure as soon as spring roll's around we will be heading up. You Could do 1 or 2 things,

1. You could join up On the website (We have allot of members already from all over the N.E.) That way you know what to expect while your up there ahead of time, And No what kind of things you should bring to be very well prepaired. Look for time off work. travel. $$$ etc..

2. I could tell you as soon as I find out date's. And warn the guys. But Im sure they would love to have you join up as well.

Ripper- I checked out your pictures. You entered up at Pittston Farm's. They have amazing Pie. And gas Price's DOUBLE the price any where else But then again there 45 Minutes from almost any where. Thats why I bring a can or 2 extra. I see you also stopped at Indian hill? (Or you were close to it) Thats where we do Our final gas up before going in the NMW Woods.

We normally come out there at Pittston Farms and treat ourself's to pie after a week in the woods. We enter down around the Kokadjo/Caribou entrance. Out to Saboomick dam. Over to Round pound. etc etc... over to the Golden road connect and then head out.

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We had rented a house in Monson, just south of Greenville. We were up there for like 10 days total. One of the days we decided to take the Scenic route to Greenville. That's where the pics near Indian Hill came from. For our NMW trip we entered at Pittston Farms and came out by Baxter on the Telos. I'd have to look at my maps and trip notes but I think the farthest north we made it was just north of Johns Bridge.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts