Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read alot on the board and everyone seems to know a lil bit about somthing so here is the question. The Xterra can tow 5000# trailer, I live in NH and most of the time I would like to go camp it will be up in the mtns. not sure on what the steepest grade is but thats just some food for thought. I am looking into gettin a camper to tow behind the x, and for saftey reasons i am looking a a trailer with a GVWR of 3700, I am worried to go any hight for fear that in the summer when climbing a steep grade the x wont do it well...as an fyi it is the antigua 18ssb found here http://www.antiguarv.com/antigua_expandables_highlights.html

I have towed in the past but that was in florida where things are... well ...FLAT
my x already has the hitch installed and I will be putting airbags on the back to help even out the load, as well as a laod equalizing hitch...Id rather have all the "goodies" and be safe.... what are your thoughts????
GO!!!!!!!

·
on line
617 Posts
Considering the amount of power the Xterra has, it it well suited to pull right up to its rated capacity. You will have no issues with a 3700# trailer.

-old Army

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I'm towing a Trail Cruiser C21RBH (http://www.rvwholesalers.com/design/TrailCruiser_Exp/TrailCruiser_Exp.php?floorplan=C21RBH) which has a dry weight around 3500 lbs (about 500 lb more than the Antigua), a loaded weight over 4000, and a GVWR of 5500 lbs. I figure that I'm right around the combined GVWR for the X and trailer when I head out. I start at 6000 feet (higher than Mt Washington) and go uphill from there. There have been a couple of 11,000+ ft pases that have caused me to drop to 1st gear, but otherwise the X does fine. I can get the rig up to 80 on the flats, but that's just when I'm being stupid.

The Antigua has the same hitch weight as mine. The load equalizing hitch is an absolute necessity IMHO since the X has a relatively short wheelbase. The stock rear suspension will sag so air bags (an AAL or new leaf pack) are a good idea.

I'd have no hesitation in towing my rig around New England so you should be fine with the Antigua.

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its the short wheel base that makes me nervous, more than anything...I know it has the power...hell we have more power than some v8's...

example the ford 4.7 "The 2-valve SOHC version in the 2001 and later model years produces 231 hp (173 kW) at 4750 rpm and 293 ft·lbf (397 Nm) of torque at 3450 rpm. The 3-valve SOHC version produces 292 hp (218 kW) at 5750 rpm and 300 ft·lbf (407 Nm) of torque at 3950 rpm"

and ours stock is "It produces 265 hp (198 kW) @5600 rpm and 284 ft·lbf (385 Nm) @4000 rpm." I have the airaid intake so that should give me another +5 on hp and tq....I know to tow its a tq number game...

I know the engine can do it, but can the tranny/rear diff hold up? and any experience with sway bars ?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
marzterra said:
I know the engine can do it, but can the tranny/rear diff hold up? and any experience with sway bars ?
In your first message you said you were concerned about towing up grades in the summer, which is an engine issue. I don't see why the diff would care too much if you are towing or not. I'm assuming that you have an A/T. The transmission seems just fine. It is one of the few drivetrain that I can't recall seeing anyone blow up. Since we have a tranny cooler already it should be good to go, so long as you don't try to use overdrive and choose gears manually as necessary.

I went with the Equal-i-zer hitch (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/) which has the sway control built into the equalizer bars. My trailer is 22-1/2' long and the setup has been rock solid uphill, downhill, at highway speeds, being passed by semis, etc. I'd highly recommend this hitch.

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kneebuster said:
In your first message you said you were concerned about towing up grades in the summer, which is an engine issue. I don't see why the diff would care too much if you are towing or not. .
I am concerned about towing up steep grades...if you read items pertaining to rear diff problems, most of them have occorued while the vehicle going up a hill, now I know the steepness(much steeper than I will ever venture to tow a trailer up) of the hill and the fact that its off road makes a differnece as to why the diff blew up. but the concern is still there on the rear diff.... I have a ton of faith in the VQ40de its the parts backing it up that scare me... and thanks for the fyi on the hitch :blackeye:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts