Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Camber Bolts Install

49K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  Bigpatsz 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a how to, to install the camber bolts for frontal, proper alignment. I have installed my front PRG spacers & add a leafs, but am not sure exactly how to install the camber bolts. Ive got an appointment for saturday a.m. (6/27) for alignment, any replies before then are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Take the Lower Control Arm bolt out, put the cam bolt in. The bolt goes in the front and the nut in the back. You need to do this on all 4 LCA mounts.

You obviously won't be able to actually adjust them, but that is what the front end alignment is for.

#3 ·
Cam bolts

I dont understand! If you cannot adjust the cam bolts, What is their purpose??? Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I have absolutely no experience what so ever with alignments!!!! Thanks again

#4 ·
It's not that YOU personally won't be able to adjust them... it's the fact that you can't PROPERLY adjust them unless you're a qualified alignment tech and happen to have all the electronic leveling/aligning gizmos set-up with a lift in your garage.

You can install them... but getting them adjusted is part of the alignment!

--

#5 ·
Cam bolts

Thanks for the clarification guys... I thought I had bought something that was not needed in my set up. This Is why I love this site, and the folks who post here!!! Always providing great info. and quickly too. Thanks again for bailing me out (again) lol.

#7 ·
Muzikman said:
Take the Lower Control Arm bolt out, put the cam bolt in. The bolt goes in the front and the nut in the back. You need to do this on all 4 LCA mounts.

You obviously won't be able to actually adjust them, but that is what the front end alignment is for.
Keep in mind that when you remove the bolt, the shock will push the LCA down, so you need a jack to support the LCA and a screw driver and some patience to align the LCA back and put the cam bolt in. I replaced my 4 bolts this way w/o removing the shock.

#19 ·
I'm about to install my cam bolts
I upgraded to rad FLOS and TC upper arms the other day and went to get it aligned. I was unaware that I needed Cam Bolts. I called Jerseyparts for the part but my question is about Installing them. I talked with a few people and many said to have a shop install them ( my alignment shop Said it would be a few hundred bucks...) I'm trying to do them myself ... it dosent seem hard...

any further advice from anyone who has done them ??
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I did a little ratchet strap action to get my holes back in line. Worked great.

Reactions: bentparts
#10 ·
Any idea how long should this take?

#12 ·
Thanks Muzik! took a little longer for 1 of them. Once i got the old bolt out, i couldn't get the LCA to line back up. Took about 20 min of cursing and fighting before it would line up. other than that, very simple.

Thank you guys for all the help!

#14 ·
USArmyX said:
I plan on doing this at the same time I install the TGC Spacers, I am hoping that it will be simple with no tension from the spring. Am I wrong?
you wont have any spring tension problems, so long as the spacer is designed like the others ( mounts between the shock assembly and the coil bucket)... Spacers are by far, one of the most easy mods to do (IMO)...

Enjoy! RRX...

#16 ·
i actually didn't remove the bottom bolt on the shock. Mine just swung out and i didn't need to remove it at all.

#17 ·
Deltaphi216 said:
i actually didn't remove the bottom bolt on the shock. Mine just swung out and i didn't need to remove it at all.
From what I've read, you don't have to with the TG spacers. The Daystar's however, you have to rotate the whole thing 180 degrees. If you have a spring compressor, you may be able to rotate the top mount... if not, you're takin' it off.

#20 ·
Holy zombie thread! I tried myself and it was a pain. Eventually gave up and had a place do it. My problem was getting the holes to line up. I got one in and couldn't get the other. I watched the shop do it so here's the easy way. Jack up the front end. Loosen the bolts, make sure you PB blast them plenty the week prior. Tap out the old bolts on one side with a hammer and a screwdriver or a tap. Now take a ratchet strap and attach it from the still connected lca across to the now unmounted lca. Crank the ratchet strap tight until you can easily get the new camber bolts into the holes. Repeat on the other side. Half a$$ the alignment and drive it an alignment shop and get her all straightened out. Note your VDC will HATE you on the drive to the alignment shop. Have fun. Save the cash I couldn't. I know for next time...
Posted via Mobile Device

#32 ·
Here is a pointer for the camber colt install (as well as a few others) from my old lift install thread. Key is to only take the old bolt half way out, stick a spare through the opposite side to keep UCA in proper position, remove old bolt, then install the new bolt. Much easier than trying to realign things altogether.

A few notes I made throughout the day to help those in the future:

Front:

1.) Install cam bolts before the lift. I tried both- before is much easier. Also, you can use a bolt through the opposite side to help line things up:

2.) The UCA ball joint nut is 22mm. 7/8" doubles nicely if you don't have a 22mm. :D

3.) Watch which way the spindle drops once you disconnect the UCA, so you don't over extend the brakelines. Remove ABS lines from keepers for extra length.

Rear:

1.) For removing the leaf springs, loosen shackle nuts first! Otherwise, you will be fighting the spring as it does its job and flexes. If you forgot, jack up the spring slightly to lessen this effect.

#36 · (Edited)
i have a passenger side one ( I think...id have to double check..it might be driver...) you can have for 35 bucks..... are you coming to ECXC? i can give it to you then or I can ship it on your dime. it's pretty much new..with like 6 or 7 k on it.

if you get your truck up to andover, NJ (where my shop is at my rents place) I would be happy to help you get them out. I apparently excel at crap like that..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.