Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last Saturday I finally got a day to wrench on the X a bit. I have new shocks I wanted to put on the front and I wanted to remove the LCA so I can bend the mounts back into place. Needless to say, 3 of the 4 cam bolts are rusted to the bushing sleeve and will not come out.

I have tried PB Blaster, dead blow hammer, torch (though not a lot since the bushings are rubber), ball joint press and air chisel. They will not budge.

So, if the stuff I bought off Steve last year (LCA, etc...), ever gets here from CO (I am starting to doubt it ever will), I am going to be breaking out the sawz-all and just replacing the LCA's.

Oh, the reason the LCA's need to be replaced is because you can not just replace the bushings. Go figure, the LCA's are $150 each from the dealer.

So, if you live in a place where they use road salt in the winter, I would buy the Lifetime alignment from Firestone and remove the cam bolts on a yearly basis.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't look bent and I can't see a line between the bolt and the sleeve (it's all one ugly glob of rust).

I had the same thing happen to the Jeep. I since have replaced half the bolts on the suspension and will be doing the rest over the winter. Salt sucks.

·
on line
279 Posts
This is one of the reasons I'm actually glad that my truck came without cam bolts and I needed to install them - plenty of anti-seize was part of the construction recipe. In fact, much of my suspension both front and rear has been re-assembled with anti-seize - ball joint shafts, lower strut/shock mounts, etc etc etc. On a brand-new truck, there were already bolts beginning to bind when I took them apart the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts