Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... So is there a better Cam Bolts (farther adjustment) than the factory kit. My 07 has has alignment issues from start so the dealer installed the factory cam bolt kit.

Since then I have lifted the truck with custom RadFlows and TC UCAs. I am now unable to get the passenger side camber even close to in spec. Desert Rat (my local 4x4 shop) pretty much told me "tuff luck" or they could custom fab something (at $75/hr i think it was). And in 3,000 miles I have nearly balded the outside edge of the tire (one long road trip in a week). The had enough tread to be considered good before that point.

Is there an aftermarket cam bolt that adjusts farther out than the factory bolts or should I break out the grinder and welder and move the mounts for the factory cam farther out?

-MadManX

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jollyman78 said:
Calmini's cam bolts claim to be good for " up to 5" of suspension lift ":

http://purenissan.com/camber_kit.htm
But do they actually provide a diferent degree of alignment over the factory camber bolts? If they do allow the cambers to be adjusted farther than this is my ticket. If they have the same specs as the factory bolts I'm just out $55.

Anyone know the degree of setting you get with the factory bolts? I haven't been able to find the answer to that. And from there I can try calling Calmini and seeing if theirs will adjust farther.

Thanks

-MadManX

·
on line
2,077 Posts
have you tried a different alignment shop?? there are a number on this forum that run the same setup as you and don't have alignment issues...makes me wonder if it's the shop not doing something right

greg (prg) sells the factory nissan camber bolts, if they weren't compatible with his lift kit i don't understand why he would sell it

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It sounds like something else is off.

And no, if you maxed out the stock cam bolts, you maxed out the slot that the LCA rides in. You can't get any more adjustability out of it.

·
on line
111 Posts
My alignment shop also can't get my TC UCA/radflo coilover lift in spec camber wise. If I drop the front down to about 1-3/4" lift (from stock) the camber looks good. I'm probably going to run it at 2" lift and hope it is close enough to not have huge tire wear issues.

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I've talked with someone over at PRG (not Greg) and at the time I called Greg was over at another shop having custom UCAs fabbed up since there are a lot of people unable to align thier trucks properly.

I have also been two two different shops... I'm already out $170 just in alignments. I'm fighting to have the last shop (the 4x4 shop) to recheck the alignment since it is only one tire with HUGE issues. But they pretty much don't care cause it's still under thier "waranty period".

Only other think I can think of doing outside of "moving" the camber bolt location out is grinding some meat off the bottom bushing of the TC UACs. This should bring the geometry up, but uneven with the other side. So both sides need done and that gets me back to "why did I buy these?".

This is not an issue of what PRG is selling. This is an issue with Total Chaos pussing the geometry out too far so that a lot of trucks can align after installing them. I guess I could also start calling Total Chaos and see what they have to say with the alignment issues.

And if not... I hope Greg at PRG would be willing to cut me a deal on his design that should not push the limits too far. But man I'm gunna hate changing those UACs out again.

Any other suggestions are welcome for what could be tried to align this setup.

-MadManX

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There have not been too many complaints about this and people have been running the TC UCA's for quite awhile.

First, I would not touch the bushing, that will make things rather ugly.

Second, if you did sell off the TC's and went with the PRG UCS's you would not have this problem. Since the PRG's have adjustable Heim joints, you can use those, as well as the cam bolts, to adjust your camber.

Changing the UCA's out now shouldn't be such an issue. No worry about getting the ball joint out of the spindle and no need to hack the drivers side bolt off.

·
on line
28 Posts
Procomp sells camber bolts that are more offset than the Nissan bolts. Although, we're only talking fractions of an inch and they also sell for $80. 4wheelparts in Mesa stocks them if you're still interested.

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muzikman

Do you know something I haven't heard about Greg's work on UCAs of the X? I mean I haven't gotten to talk to him directly yet but if they are more adjustible than the cost of them would pay for themselves in what it will cost me to keep tires on this as is.

Johnnyv

I'll give them a call if I can hunt down a number and see what they think. Stupid alignment is getting to cost as much as the rear end lift already.

And Yeah I know screwing with the UACs bushing is a bad idea... But it works in theory if I have to get desporite. Accourding to PRG there are a lot of people having alignment issues... Some as bad as me and a lot are bad enought to live with. Greg also kinda screens who he sales them to depending on your current alignment non lifted. Mine was at the edge of what he thought should be fine.

-MadManX

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know anything about the PRG UCA's except what was already posted in the thread about them. But because they have use the Heim joints to connect them to the frame, they are adjustable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts