Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts from you guys about which 2" lift is better. Trying to decide.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I wasn't to happy with the sloppy welds on the Daystar when I received it and there is some talk about the Aluminium to Steel contact on the Calmini being bad. I tried for about 3 months to get the Calmini but they always told me it was going to "be in stock in 2 weeks" when I called. So I gave up and got the Daystar, but then I decided to go a different route and never installed it! lol

·
on line
589 Posts
I personally got the Calmini. I have heard about the Aluminum to Steel contact being bad, but at the same time have worked with these metals I think the issue is overblown. If someone were to show me a Calmini shackle that has degraded to nothing because contact with the steel then I would accept that, BUT it's just a matter of hypothetical situations of massive friction.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I've done some pretty rough crap with my sloppy welded Daystar lift. No problems, I owned a KW, Trust me, mating up steel and Aluminum cost me thousands of dollars over a period of 10 years in replacement. It's impossible to stop the deterioration when dissimilar metals meet. No way I'd do Calmini! Heck! I hate to even put something blue on my X. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Erick said:
If someone were to show me a Calmini shackle that has degraded to nothing because contact with the steel then I would accept that, BUT it's just a matter of hypothetical situations of massive friction.
The Calmini shackles are steel, not aluminum.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
d-rap said:
MC, does your anti-blue thing extend even to King coilovers?
No idea, I haven't got to that point yet because what I have works so well, But if they are good, I have Red Paint!

And Erick, even if the shackles were aluminum, if there is a bushing, there is no contact with metal and it would not promote deterioration. It's the spacers that are aluminum. I have lots of experience with a Kenworth 8 bag Air ride. Paint, grease, anti seize, POR 15, oil, a gasket, you name I tried it at $125 per air bag and about 1 to 3 hours each to remove and re install. I cried for something that would stop the corrosion when aluminum and steel meet up. No avail! MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts

·
on line
1,320 Posts
just slap some grease or anti-seize on the surfaces where aluminum meets the steel... hell i'd put grease on the surfaces of the daystar where steel meets steel just to eliminate any chance of squeaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts