Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I know there are a couple of you out here who are doing this lethal combination of projects... Now so am I. So, that being said I wanted to start a thread here becasue its a lift you have to Build yourself, not one that you can just order from one place.

This is what the lift is... It combines Calmini's 5" lift kit, with PRG's coilover shocks, and Total Chaos' Upper control arms. I am sure that you can also upgrade the rear suspension if desired.

Here are a few of the recommended sights you should visit to purchase the components:
http://www.purenissan.com/5_suspension.htm (for Xterra package)
http://www.purenissan.com/new_page_12.htm (for frontier package)
http://www.prgproducts.com/frontier_components.php (last item on page [upper control arms]) 951-780-5331
**You will also need 5" coilover shocks: call and talk to Greg 951-780-5331 (PRG www.prgproducts.com)
If you get the frontier package you will still need to buy new leafsprings, look here http://www.alcanspring.com/ or 800-321-0870

Okay for those of you who are already doing this... Post up something if I missed it, and post your progress of what you already ordered and when you will be installing the lift!!

Mine obviously wont be started untill late March, because I am going out of town.

·
on line
123 Posts
I'll be interested in the total cost of this in comparison to the SLR kit.

I think the optimal way to go is the Calmini Frontier kit minus the shocks, I think it was posted earlier that Calmini would take $100 off, the Radflows, TC UCA's and the rear end however you want(Alcan or AAL).

I may go this route after some of you early adopters try it. :bom:

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I'm one of the guinea pigs. I also ordered these CST Titan extended front sway bar end links from Greg;

http://www.prgproducts.com/titan_front.php

It doesn't look like the Calmini front sway bar relocation brackets will work for those who are running the shrock front bumper (like me) because they mount to the same place where the bracket for the radiator skid mounts.

These should work, unless the Calmini spindles relocate the tie rod mounting point, and/or sway bar mounting points in a place where the two might make contact. I'm hoping not. Greg said I could send 'em back if they don't work.

·
on line
123 Posts
when are you doing your install... or rather I should ask, how far out is the calmini lift?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
LoPo said:
I'll be interested in the total cost of this in comparison to the SLR kit.

I think the optimal way to go is the Calmini Frontier kit minus the shocks, I think it was posted earlier that Calmini would take $100 off, the Radflows, TC UCA's and the rear end however you want(Alcan or AAL).

I may go this route after some of you early adopters try it. :bom:
The cost of this setup should be cheaper, as long as you're comparing it to the SLR kit with the King shocks. I think the SLR kit would come in a little bit cheaper if you went the Bilstein shock option route.

One of the reasons I went this route is because of diff protection. I've heard people with the kit say that SLR will be sending some sort of diff skid plate (not sure if that ups the price or not) but I haven't seen anything yet.

Also... keep in mind that ordering up Alcans for your rear will be more expensive. The difference between the Xterra kit and the Frontier kit (without the leaf springs) is $400. The Alcan's will cost you $240 each plus shipping, in addition to whatever it might cost you for shipping, u-bolts and shims (both included with Calmini). That's probably in the $550-$560 ballpark. I'm not trying to start a quality debate here, just a price comparison.

·
on line
81 Posts
Really intersted in seeing how this one turns out. It's looking like the route I'll go when it's time for a lift.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OregonX said:
S_e_X-Terra said:
Okay guys I know there are a couple of you out here who are doing this lethal combination of projects... Now so am I.
I talked to Greg a few days ago. He told me that someone else ordered the fronts. Must be you.
Yeah it was me. Too bad that I am in africa right now. ONly good thing is that when I get home on March 16th, all the parts will be waiting for me.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
OregonX said:
S_e_X-Terra said:
Okay guys I know there are a couple of you out here who are doing this lethal combination of projects... Now so am I.
I talked to Greg a few days ago. He told me that someone else ordered the fronts. Must be you.
Yeah it was me. Too bad that I am in africa right now. ONly good thing is that when I get home on March 16th, all the parts will be waiting for me.
Nice. Did Calmini tell you that they had parts in stock or give you some sort of delivery promise?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys... as most of you probably know the kit is super back ordered!!! But as oregon X stated previously i think that the frontier kits will be coming out a tad bit sooner than the Xterra kits. this is good for me because i ordered a fronty kit!

As of now they are "hopeful" that my lift kit will be here in time to install it before i am off to GONE MOAB but they are not definite. We will just have to wait and see.

Am I the only person left doing this install?? Come on guys you know you are all going to be jealous when this gets put on!!

And oregon, you shouldnt have canceld your order. you could have probably resold it for a hundred bucks over retail value when it came in... im sure there are people here with money burning holes in their pockets to get a lift kit immediately rather than wait for a back order. I know i would have done that if i wouldnt have ordered it already!!!!! :blackeye:

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Hey S_e_x,

I'm sure there are more people doing this (probably over on Clubfrontier). I know that Greg has sold several of those 5" coilovers. I think that was part of the reason he was so cool about taking mine back and giving me a 100% credit/refund, because he made the comment that he thought he could sell 'em pretty quick.

I don't know if I could have sold my kit for more money or not. Maybe. The bottom line with me is that I was getting fed up with Calmini's excuses and decided that I didn't want to give them any of my money.

Regardless, I am excited to see how your truck turns out. I'm sure it will be sweet.

You going to bring that thing to Moab?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hell yeah im bringing it to MOAB. I hope the kit gets here soon though.

Maybe if the kit comes a day or two before i am leaving for Utah, i can jsut bring the kit with me and have alot of people there to help me install it!! that would be pretty cool.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Hell yeah im bringing it to MOAB. I hope the kit gets here soon though.

Maybe if the kit comes a day or two before i am leaving for Utah, i can jsut bring the kit with me and have alot of people there to help me install it!! that would be pretty cool.
That would be kinda funny. Find somebody with a condo and we could pull an all-niter in the driveway before the first trail rides on Monday morning.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
We we're going to SAS my '01 there last year, but had a logistics snafu..

There're wrenching sessions nightly and that's just one piece of the fun. I can almost guarantee you'd get it done too. GONE is an awesome event anyone who wheels a NISSAN should attend. Believe it or not, the people you meet may be as amazing as the land you're in. Well, they're prolly not that interesting, but you should all go anyhow.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
This is kinda off topic, but has anyone done a newx.org roll call yet to see who's going to be making the trip to Moab?

EDIT: Just checked the events forum and saw that S_e_X put one up there a while back. There were only about 3-4 positive responses, though. I have a feeling we have more 2nd gen X guys than that going.

We should try another post here in a couple weeks to try and get a head count.

·
on line
10 Posts
I'm doing the same thing w/ Fabtechs 6" lift. I'm also planning on attending GONE and would love to have everything done by then. Gregs(PRG) saying early to mid May when Fabtech should start shipping. Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of X's in Moab.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay guys my lift is shipping so it will be in by the time i get back to the US. I dont have time to talk about it because im using my boss's computer. but i will let everyone know about it when i get home on the 11th

GONE MOAB RULES!!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay guys this thing is finished....

Here are the components that I used....

Calmini 5" lift... (I used the frontier lift because i wanted to make custom springs but you can use the Xterra lift if you want)

I used Radflo coliovers for the front.... (call greg at PRG for a specific coilover that is not listed on his webpage) the coilovers provide 4-7" of lift.

Also I have Total Chaos Upper controll arms which I also purchased from PRG (these are listed on his web page)

Alcan Springs in the Rear (custom made anyway you like)

AC shackles in the rear (these look more sturdy than the shackles that come with the calmini lift... but im sure any sort of shackle would be fine)

The Kit comes with Bilstein 5125 shocks for the rear and work great (I may upgrade to resevoired shocks from PRG at a later date)

Some side notes....
-If you order the Xterra kit then you will not need to buy new Ubolts... but if you order the frontier kit you will need to buy new U bolts. When you get new Ubolts make sure you buy new lock nuts to go with them.
-This kit is made for 33" tires even with the upgrade to coilover shocks and new upper controll arms you will encounter major rubbing issues If you go up to 35" tires. I do have 35" tires on right now and will post the trimming and other things that I had to do to make the tires fit correctly.
-A new set of bumpstops come with the new upper controll arms. I reccomend buying new bumpstops for the rear as well. I am using Timbren bumpstops and they work fabulously.
-I am going to call Jim (shrockworks) to find out if he can make a front skid plate that works with his front bumper and protects the calmini front crossmember (blue thing in picture).

COST--
Frontier lift kit $1295
Upper controll arms $599
Coilover shocks $750 (I think)
Leaf Springs $??? (I forgot... I will post when I look at my reciept)
Ubolts & Nuts ~$65

Here are some pictures.
FIRST PIC... 35" tire/radflo coilovers

SECOND PIC... AC shackle/Alcan leafsprings/Bilstein 5125 shocks

THIRD/FOURTH PICS... Passenger-Driver side view of the setup.

FIFTH-SIXTH-SEVENTH PICS.... Glamor shots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts