Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in here got one? With the price that Jim is now charging for the Shrock version, I'm tempted to go the Calmini route. Jim does an awesome job and all, but I've never heard to many complaints in AZXC about Calmini products, a few AZ guys swear by them. $200 cheaper is a nice chunk of change towards a winch :)

·
on line
266 Posts
usmc xterra said:
This is America, free to do as you please, Let us know what you experience and compare side by side, you will see the $200 difference.
If it's Just for looks, it's a great deal. MC
I dont mean to sound harsh, but i havent heard of anyone on this board buying/reviewing the calmini front bumper. If they have, i guess i missed it. Dont you think you're beeing too quick to judge a product that no one here has even tested let alone see in person?

well.. i guess some people might have seen it at the SEMA show.

I think it looks alot nicer than shrock's bumper, it seems to fit alot better with the truck in my eyes.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
My personal oppinion is that the Shrock bumper is much better looking. I don't even see any forward recovery points on the Calmini. Nor, do I see headlight hoops.

Shrock:

Calmini:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Oh, and how handy that winch is to swipe and get ruined. Not to mention the block it puts on airflow. Sweet! Kinda looks like that Calmini was made for a FJ? Go ahead, I wanna see! I'll stick with what I have and I don't want to be harsh, but at an Off road event I was at they had some really nice FREE Calmini decals like real nice sized, and the gigantic stack never got smaller, no one would even take one. No one on the board has one because..... Ah never mind. Get one and post pictures. Let us know what the gauge of the metal they use is and show us a video of it vibrating with the engine at idle. Give some close ups on the winch mount, I'm interested, really. MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is exactly why I posted. I've not heard of anyone even having the Calmini, I'm not making a decision until around March after Tax time, which this year for me is going to be painful.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
usmc xterra said:
I'll stick with what I have and I don't want to be harsh, but at an Off road event I was at they had some really nice FREE Calmini decals like real nice sized, and the gigantic stack never got smaller, no one would even take one.
Lol!! That was so funny, people who even had calmini stuff didn't take them. So the end of the night people took a crap load of them and put them all over Danas truck.

Rinky, I've seen the previous version ones and have watched them just vibrate like crazy on someones truck while they drive, not cool. If you want one, then get one, but I just would be hesitant. Especially after the owner told one of our more experienced members that he's 'too stupid to own calmini products' over the phone.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
RiNkY said:
This is exactly why I posted. I've not heard of anyone even having the Calmini, I'm not making a decision until around March after Tax time, which this year for me is going to be painful.
I feel your pain. Last two years I have had to cut a check for half an Xterra. This year I should receive money back!

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kokopop said:
RiNkY said:
I feel your pain. Last two years I have had to cut a check for half an Xterra. This year I should receive money back!
I have about $14k in untaxed income, plus me and my wife both made about $10k more this year than last year. Got about $1000 back last year, but this year I figure I owe maybe as much as $6k.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Opinions are like-oh you know--

--I'm not sure yet wheather I'll get THE front bumper, but if I do-It will be SHROCKWORKS--

--If you look at my avater you'll see my REAR bumper. CALMINI--

--After close to Nine hundred bucks, 6 phone conversions with CALMINI, I had to REDRILL the frame bolt holes, REDISIGN the latch mech. and BITCH about the lousy job of alignment jigs they used for PARALLEL alignment--

--I won't rant any longer about CALMINI, but I will NEVER buy from them again--

--I've been buying THINGS for nearly 50 years and I am old fashioned in that I stick with QUALITY/person to person/customer satisfaction and PROPER DESIGN--

--I'm a little sorry that some of you can't afford certain things, but for our major MOD's--ie: front/back bumper and SKID plates--it is--

---------------SHROCKWORKS--------------------

-- :geek: :geek: --jimbo

·
on line
551 Posts
Maybe it'sthe photo, but that skid plate on the calmini looks to be made of aluminum. And the bumper looks like lighte gauge steel.
When the difference is that much, they have to cut corners somewhere.
Just my 2¢

·
on line
641 Posts
Magic Rat said:
Maybe it'sthe photo, but that skid plate on the calmini looks to be made of aluminum. And the bumper looks like lighte gauge steel.
When the difference is that much, they have to cut corners somewhere.
Just my 2¢
I've got my Shrockworks front bumper on order, so I have no interest in one from Calmini, but according to their website, it's not lite gauge steel:
http://www.purenissan.com/winch_bumper4.htm

Also, I'd be cautious about ordering anything from Calmini, after all the stories I've heard about how bad their "on time delivery" record can be.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if their front bumper fitment is anything like the rear bumper, then I'll probably be going for the Shrock. I just want to mount a winch, not even that interested in having a solid front bumper. If there was another way to mount a winch up front, like what Black Panther suggested one time, then I'd probably go that route. Or maybe get a Pre-runner style front end fabbed, but that would cost way more than the shrock option.

I certainly trust Jim and his products, I just feel he has overpriced it. Not like he isn't selling quite a few of them, if ARB came to their senses and put one on the market so he had some competition, I think Prices would drop. Fair play to Jim for making money while he can, that's what business is all about after all.

·
on line
463 Posts
Okay,,, Sorry,, But I have to be opionated at this post.
I did see the Calmini front bumper at the off-road show on their Xterra.
Again, my opinion,,,lightweight, even flexible.
I have shrockworks rear bumper, installed just this week-end,,,fit is good,
instructiions, printed and verbal were beyond expectations. I called jim because I was missing the hold-open pin. Jim explained that the pin had been dropped. I can't fault Jim, the pics don't show the pin and it wasn't discussed in the description.
Heavyweight ! When you see the construction and fit of Shrock's work and understand the work put into these products,, you can then understand the price difference.

Next,,,,I have a Calmini AAL system which I personally picked up at their facility in Bakersfield. I don't remember the price But, I do remember asking about instructions being in the package. They assured me that instructions were included in ALL of their products !
Guess What ? One week later when I opened the box to do the install,,,,,
No instructions. Couldn't call either as it was a Saturday,,,my X is a daily driver. I called on Monday and fortunately I have a fax machine at home as they faxed their " instructions "
The saving grace to this story is the Great Help Of This Group! I was directed to the How To Section and,,, Low and Behold GOOD Instructions

That's my story and my opinion. Like the earlier post.
" Opions are like --------,,Everyone has one !
Regards, Jim B

·
on line
271 Posts
CALMINI... Let me share my experience with their upgrade steering kit for the first gen X... First, the instructions were included in my kit. All the parts were also included. It came a little late but not a big deal.

So I install the kit, per CALMINI instructions. I'm in the military, so attention to detail is my life. I follow the instructions exactly. Measurements, torque specs, everything...

I finish the install but something isn't right. Why does the passenger side tie rod have almost twice the amount of thread protrusion of the driver’s side??? I check the instructions once again. I've followed them correctly. I check, of all places, XOC for further instructions. It turns out that the correct measurements are on XOC!!! Not the CALMINI website but on XOC!!! WTF!

That's not the worst of it. I call CALMINI on Monday morning and someone (can't remember his name but definitely not in customer service; I don’t think they have such a person at CALMINI) and vent a bit about including wrong instructions in the kit. He recognizes that the CALMINI instructions are wrong and that the XOC instructions are the correct way to install their kit but that their instructions were already printed before they realized their error. O.K. I could agree with this (mistakes happen), BUT...

The instructions on XOC were more than 5 months old. They continued to ship kits with wrong instruction for months after knowing the error of their ways. I mean seriously, how hard could it be to attach an addendum page to the front of the original instructions?

In their defense, I heard some folks with good stories to tell. Steve, the owner, is a pretty good guy. Bottom line… my rig will definitely have nothing CALMINI blue installed on it. Their customer service has let me to this decision; not their products.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
cornick said:
usmc xterra said:
I'll stick with what I have and I don't want to be harsh, but at an Off road event I was at they had some really nice FREE Calmini decals like real nice sized, and the gigantic stack never got smaller, no one would even take one.
Lol!! That was so funny, people who even had calmini stuff didn't take them. So the end of the night people took a crap load of them and put them all over Danas truck.quote]

:sign5: :sign5: Oh Man that is way too funny! I left early but that would have been worth it to stay and see! Anyone get a picture of that! LOL I know how Dana Love's Calmini! LOL I also seen a lot of people paint their Calmini stuff another color :sign5:

But Hey! At least we got it out in the air. Maybe they will get wind of it and change their ways, they have the right Idea, Just not following through with good after action. MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well this is almost like the same situation as many describe with AC. People bitch about their poor products and poor customer service etc. But on the 2 or 4 occasions I have dealt with them the experience has been awesome. Including the return of the rear diff skid and replacement a few months back.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Happy New Year RinKy--

--If you are happy with your treatment, then JUDGEMENT wise you should stay with those dealers--

--I think the rest of us must base our decision on the previous satisfaction of the MAJORITY-which at least for Calmini is NEGATIVE, for the 2nd gen X's--

--I buy a lot of firearms/ammo/body armor/ paraphernalia/optics--

--I buy MAINLY from MIDWAY USA,, there are many cheaper and closer dealers, but over the years I've had 100% satisfaction from them, so I stick with them--I guess it's all personal--

--Based on my experience and OTHERS--I'll stick with SHROCKWORKS--DIRECT, no middle dealer--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just sold my Daystar lift on XOC. Will most likely be going for the Shrock - as there just isn't anyone out there that has the Calmini front end to even review it. Ordering in March / April and coils for the front end and a leaf pack for the rear. Coupled with some slightly larger Firestone Destination MT tires. With the rear bumper / tire carrier later in the year. Should be a good year for my X :)

Gonna pay her off here in a couple of months too as part of the deal on my new house. Which means more money to spend on aftermarket parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts