Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 xterra s 4x4 i was trying to install the calmini coil spacer lift. while i was removing the top nut i ran the strut cylinder all the way out and blew out the srut air and oil. I didnt hold the threaded portion at the top while removing the large nut.So now i have to replace the strut and cant get the bolt and nut loose on the lower control arm. Has anyone come across this? is it reverse thread? Since i am in alaska i have to wait five days for one from the dealer since the local auto parts stores do not have these struts. While i am at it is there any other tricks while doing this install? The calmini instructions suck!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay you messed up big time.... shutterman was right, if you are installing a coil spacer then the large center nut SHOULD NOT be removed. There was a how-to on here somewhere for installing a spacer and im pretty sure that was stated. here is an install for the daystar lift (pretty much the same type of spacer) http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=85

But, dont feel bad... it happens. Okay, the bottom nut and bolt that hold the strut on are regular thread. They are just on there with alot of torque. What you need is a long breaker bar. I suggest useing something three feet long or longer. You might be able to get it off with something shorter but it will be hard.

Oh and if you post a thread in the 'swap meet' asking for a non-offroad front shock im sure there are people on here that will give you one for alot cheaper (if not for free) than the nissan dealership would sell it to you for. Now shipping would be a different story.

OH, AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

·
on line
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a macpherson sturt remover and compressed the coil spring when i did this. When i started on the other side i didnt remove the top nut, but when i installed the spacer on it had to be turned 180 degrees and the only way to do that was to remove the strut assy or the top nut. and since i couldnt get the lower strut bolt and nut off with an impact gun and chose the stupid way. Nothing like a 100 dollar mistake and 5 days down time!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Ahhh, i see. You were trying to turn just the top part of the strut, instead taking the LCA bolt out and turning the whole strut around. Well, you live and learn.... Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts