Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody had a decent shot of the spring pack with a set installed. I am trying to get an idea of the lengths and placement of the two additional leaves. Muzikman, Erick? Thanks.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't have any pics of just the leafs. I'll be cleaning up my rear axle over the next few days (once the rain stops for any length of time), I can snap some pics for you.

·
on line
589 Posts
He's got me beat, not only is mine dirty but once I am off of work today I am headed up to San Francisco till Monday; so pics would be a while.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks! That is actually exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it. How do you guys like the kit? Any feedback (besides Calmini customer service sucks, lol)?

·
on line
589 Posts
I personally love the kit. Solid made and it's nice how they are different lengths with the intention of being interspersed in the pack and essentially 'rebuilding' it without having to remove any overload spring. Being that Calmini also provides the U-Bolt kit with it, I was and am very satisfied with the performance and design of it.

Wrote up an install (without pics) for these, and it's a simple job but requires a bit of muscle at some points.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, the calmini kit squeeks like crazy. I have not done it yet, but I want to see if I can find some squeek pads.

·
on line
163 Posts
Can someone post a picture of a Calmini AAL (2.5"-3") SL installed on the car? I've gone through pages of stuff, and any pictures that don't have a broken link aren't a good shot displaying how much lift it gives.

I'm generally trying to see if the lift is high enough that it is worth it or not.

If you have a nice side shot of your Xterra with the Calmini AAL where the Xterra isn't being flexed, can you please post it so I can see the rough height increase. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
Muzikman said:
Yeah, the calmini kit squeeks like crazy. I have not done it yet, but I want to see if I can find some squeek pads.
I was just going to ask you if you have experienced any squeak with the Calmini AAL's.

Spicoli said:
Can someone post a picture of a Calmini AAL (2.5"-3") SL installed on the car?
I'm assuming you mean the one with the spacers up front. In a couple weeks, one of the members of the NEXterra Club is going to be installing that lift. If I remember, I'll post some pics of it.

·
on line
163 Posts
I would appreciate it very much. I tow a car every once in a while and think going for the AAL is best... but I don't want to change the ride too much... hense spacer in the front instead of the AC springs.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to a local spring shop about options for the squeaking. They didn't offer an graphite based paint or the like, but said they could install anti-squeaks pads. This would require them punching a hole to mount the pad. Sounds like the right solution, but they wanted too much ($10 per hole). I may consider this if they would do it for half that, but $80 is too much for anti-squeak pads, and I don't think you can drill spring steel (?).

They also mentioned doing custom, full length AAL's for $110, a pair I believe. I may consider this, but don't know if I can work out the downtime for the X (I'm assuming they would need at least one spring off the vehicle for design). Plus, I still like the 2-leaf Calmini kit for the price and extras it comes with.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
At $110 each, you would be better off just going with Alcan's.

The squeek pads are what I have been talking about. I think Calmini would do themselves good to include some.

You can drill a hole in the spring, no problem.

If that is $10 per hole based on the springs already being installed, that's not bad, but if that is $10 per hole with the springs in hand, that sounds a bit hight...though I am not sure of the cost of the pads themselves.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The squeak pads were cheap, less than $1 each. If the mounting holes are round, I will go that route and drill them myself. However, I have a feeling they are like most factory pads that mount in an oblong shaped hole. Guess I should have asked when I was on the phone. I'll try calling them back at some point.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, those are outrageous! The ones on the right in the picture look like they are for YJ springs- that is the oblong-type hole to which I am referring. I guess I'll have to see if I can swing by the spring place sometime and take a look at what they have. He mentioned a price over the phone that was something less than $1 ea, but he seemed to be just guessing. Maybe the ones they have aren't Teflon. Regardless, there is no reason for them to be $10 ea.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I agree. I have been too lazy to stop by a spring shop and find out what they cost, but it's only to be something I do here real soon.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Ok I have done some looking around and feel dumb asking this but what does "AAL" and "SL" stand for? :alien:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts