Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
1,407 Posts
..and I thought the Daystar spacer was tall!

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Man it looks good but the guy sucks at taking the necessary pics IMHO. There are more pics of his truck in general then anything else. Four of the twelve pics was about a few parts and that's it. Did anyone else notice the factory front shocks?? All that time waiting and all that money spent and they couldn't even include an upgrade?? I mean come on.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Did anyone else notice the factory front shocks?? All that time waiting and all that money spent and they couldn't even include an upgrade?? I mean come on
Factory shock with a coffee can for a spacer. That's how they get away with throwing it out there so cheap! The SLR is waaay better! You could upgrade to a better shock but that's another ~$1200 for front shocks and $500 for rear shocks and by then you may as well have gone with the SLR.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that last picture you have up, is no lift...

plus he's on the stock 31" tires, so it'll be different

compare:

you'll notice that this picture is actually up in the thread "procomp alloys" farther down the page...

but i gotta agree....how they did the front.... :scratch:

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Plus the Calmini doesn't have the King shock sexiness!

·
on line
423 Posts
B Slater said:
Plus the Calmini doesn't have the King shock sexiness!
All it takes in money.

One quote in this thread is $1200 for the Kings. Add that to the $1700 for the Calmini, you are at $2900. The diff between the SLR and a comparable Calmini set up, would buy a set of tires.

I talked to the folks at Calmini and you will be able to purchase the Kings and other sets as an option at some point.

I love the look of the SLR set up, and I am anxious to see more of the Calmini lifts installed on the Frontys. Also, a local 2005 OR X owner will be one of the first Calmini installs. Can't wait to see that one.

I was told that about 80 Fronty lifts will be shipped along with the one in this thread. I haven't seen where they are being installed. It will be interesting to see them go on. The lift in this thread went on easily and the owner seems pretty happy.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my Calmini lift is ordered. If between now and the ship date something else comes along, they have given me the option of not finalizing the deal. I don't have any plans to back out.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...total ground clearance is ONLY increased by putting on larger tires....

following that logic, none of the lifts are really worth it...

and going further down that train of thought, lifting an IFS vehicle at all isn't worth the time/effort....

·
on line
191 Posts
I'm well versed on what a true ground clearance is. What I meant was let's picture two Frontiers side by side. Frontier "A" has the calmini kit. Frontier "B" has spencers. Slap on 285/75r16 tires on the trucks and then measure the difference. From the pictures alone the calmini kit already looks lower. I.e. the drop down bracket is dropped too low when compared to spencers. So tires wouldn't really matter on this situation.

You also say that lifting an ifs is pointless. No, it's not. If you're into rocks and shit well go straight axle but if you want to go fast off-road get long travel IFS.

An overused pic but i'll choose lt over sas anyday. my .02

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't think lifting an IFS is useless..it just bothers me when someone puts a statement up without justifying it.....and until we get two side by side with similar tires and setups, we can't really tell...shoot...the pictures of that calmini lift are on a hill, so its REALLY hard to tell....

plus i had been on the computer too long that day and was kinda irritated anyway...so sorry about that...

but your post "the calmini lift isn't worth it" makes it sound like a
"CALMINI suxors!" post....

i have had no experience with calmini, but have heard good and bad...just like to put new info out when they finally get stuff out.

·
on line
191 Posts
I see your point. The reason why I belive SLR's system is better, is because i've seen both trucks up close. At the last stillen meet, I further examined the Calimini truck the fourwheeler magazine did. To be honest with you the front diffs looked lower if not the same as a stock NISMO. Also the the way that they brought the front up was by adding 5" spacers (coffee cans), was something that i didn't fancy. Especially with the wait time they promised a lot of people it should've had better R&D. It'll get the job done but it's just not the best design out there.

*I'll look for the pics i took of the drop down bracket. Here's some for the mean time...

As for the SLR Frontier above, At last years expo I almost went bananas around the white truck on their website. Now i know it was running 35's but the difference alone was staggering (Material and fuction.)

·
on line
1,320 Posts
but the difference alone was staggering (Material and fuction.)
good call JayP!
calmini's 2nd gen stuff is just more show than go... you might get 5" lift out of it but i would be leary of beating on it the way i would SLR's stuff.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
The stage 1,2 and 3 stuff only applied to the first gen!
On the new kit (2nd gen) there's only one! but you have choices on what level of shock shock want to run... BIlstein= less expensive... King= more expensive!!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
3500 is alot for a lift.
All depends on what you're looking to do.
For a diff drop kit(like SLR) with spindles, A-arms, hi-perf coilover, etc $3500 is about a run-of-the-mill price. Compare in 4x4 magazines to Chev, Ford, Dodge lifts by big manufacturers like Pro-comp, Skyjacker, Superlift and you'll find they're all about that price too.

I think everyone has become jaded by the $200 spacer lifts since they've been the only thing available to us for so long!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts