Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2006 Offroad X about 2 months ago and have been lurkin' off and on to get some ideas for mods.

I have a question about suspension lifts...and YES I've read and re-read the sticky thread about lift options (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1261)...just need some more feedback. (List of what I've done so far at bottom of the post)

It looks like the Calmini spacers and shackles are the least expensive. My questions are:

--What the heck is upper bucket coil contact and do I REALLY need to worry about it? I'm not rock-crawling, merely clearing some semi-hefty rock ledges and tiny boulders here and there on my way out to rock climbing spots and trailheads...

--Are the spacers/shackles a LONG-TERM route to go? (Will I be able to drive on them no problem for the next few years, or will they wear out other parts of the suspension quicker compared to more expensive suspension lift options?)

--If the spacers/shackles are a cheap/lazy way to go, what, in your opinion is the least expensive, yet most reliable/durable option? (and if you could, match it up with one of the options from the sticky lift thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1261)

Here's my X as of this afternoon:

So far I've done the following:
--Coated stock wheels with Rust-O-Leum (they've gotten pretty muddy since, and been washed clean, and the coating is holding up), also coated front bumper with trim/bumper paint
--Dynomax (19443) cat-back exhaust (wanted to open up the diameter of the exhaust a bit -- from 2.25 stock to 2.5")
--Flowmaster super 44 muffler (threw away some money here, should've just bought the muffler, and had the muffler shop do the 2.5" piping, LESSON LEARNED)
--DIY Air box mod (from this thread http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/15837-diy-air-box-mod.html)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9429481017/in/photostream/

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Welcome, as for coil bucket contact it happens when you lift the truck those 2 inches the upper control arm makes contact with the upper shock mount. The lift leaves only an 1 1/2 maybe 2 inches of space between the arm and coil bucket and it makes an annoying metal on metal sound. They make aftermarket arms to cure this problem but the are a little pricey around 450 dollars. Now for the spacer and shackle lift the front spacer shouldnt cause problems. The shackle on the other hand tends to flatten out the leaf pack over time most of us have gone with an add a leaf kit over just the shackle. Now for my lift I went with the revtek aal kit in the rear and some random ebay spacers up front ( which can be risky not knowing the quality ) thus far its held up pretty well and I check it periodicly. The possibilities aren't endless but there are alot of options you can go with, I would recomend going with a shackle that has a soild mount in the center to avoid and flex in them if you go that route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Primer -- one question about your post

Do you mean that I should do the Add-A-Leaf in addition to the rear shackles, or instead of?

And is this the kind of kit that you would recommend then? :http://store.revtek.com/p/2005-2010-nissan-xterra-4wd-2-5-suspension-lift-kit)
--note, that kit doesn't include shackles, if you're saying AAL WITH the longer shackles then I'd need to buy shackles in addition to that kit

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Oh sorry about that, I meant if you were going with either one or the other i would go with the AAL vs just the shackles. I went with the revtek mainly because the kit includes everything you will need, the longer ubolts and center pin, 4 degree shims, and cam bolts. I planned on using the front spacers in the kit but after hearing about how bad the ride quality is after putting them, I went the the bolt on spacers instead. You could probably piece it together for cheaper than i did with the kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again man. Still a little bit unclear :dontknow:, the link to the revtek 2.5" AAL kit doesn't include shackles...

so are different/new shackles completely unnecessary or would I need to hunt down some shackles in addition to the AAL kit that I linked to?

Finally, I had a HELL of a time trying to change out my exhaust system (the bolts were the problem, I PB Blasted them for a few days straight, and heated the FK out of 'em, and eventually surrendered and took it to a pipe shop).
--When I get the funds to purchase the AAL kit, I'll try it myself, but about how much do you think it would cost for a shop to install the entire thing (front spacers, and the rear leafs)?

**I live in Colorado, but this car spent the first 6 years of its life driving around Chicago AKA salt and water has done quite a number on the bolts in the undercarriage. So before anyone grills me for giving up on the exhaust install, gimme a breaaaak (Bicycles are actually my specialty, still getting the hang of working on cars). I'm not too optimistic about being able to install a lift kit myself...(but as I said, I'll try)

·
on line
1,113 Posts
you dont need the shackles for the lift, the AAL by itself will be fine now if you want more lift you can add shackles later on down the road but they arent needed to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts