Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that Canadians actually have heated side view mirrors. I was wondering if one of you guys can get the part number so that us Americans can try and obtain heated mirrors as well. Or better yet, if someone could arrange a groupbuy, that would be fanatastic.

·
on line
496 Posts
Yea I'm interested in this to now that I'm in Germany. This past week the frost has been frozen on the mirrors. I need to find a Nissan dealership here to check on the parts. Ironically I live 1 mile frome every model dealership from Aston Martin to Toyota incl. Hummers and Caddy's but not one Nissan Dealer is close to me.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have done this on other cars.

There is only a foil type material with a wire in it that heats up, if you find any that will just fit the back of the mirror, all you do is buy it, peal and stick, run 12V to the wires and install a relay, switch and proper size fuse and you are good to go. However, you can burn em up if you leave em on when it is too warm out, so consider that. Some have thermostatic control where they don't turn on unless it is cool enough and some have timers but most are just wired right into an Ing. Source switch only.

Only point, don't buy one too big and try to cut it down, once you jack with the wire, it won't work. Smaller is better, mount it low and it will work fine when the heat rises. MC

·
on line
641 Posts
"Dual power heated outside mirrors" are standard on all three models:
http://nissan.ca/en/vehicles/xterra/specifications.html
(see the Exterior section)

I just spoke to a local Nissan parts dept., and they said that although you can order either just the mirror glass or the whole mirror assembly, to lookup the part number they want the X's VIN number(so they get the correct part for the specific model), and that a lookup on a US VIN either may not work, or would call up the part number for the US vehicle. Also, there may not be any support for the heated mirrors in the door's wiring harness.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
oh crap - I forgot about frost living here in AZ. I fly to England tonight, hope the rental car has heated windshield or comes with an ice scapper :)

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Wish I could help, but my X is actually from the US. No heated mirrors :bom:

·
on line
210 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
...However, you can burn em up if you leave em on when it is too warm out, so consider that. Some have thermostatic control where they don't turn on unless it is cool enough and some have timers but most are just wired right into an Ing. Source switch only...
A Tip for you - The Heated mirror are powered only when you turn on the rear defroster. The defroster being on a thermostat/timer, ther's no overheat on the mirror...

·
on line
17 Posts
Pathfinder/Frontier/Xterra mirrors

I believe they all use the same housing, before I got my Xterra, I drove the Pathfinder/Frontiers. I had the dealer park a Pathfinder next to the Xterra for a size comparison and noticed that the housing were the same. I know that the Pathfinder LE have heated mirrors, so you could just go to the dealer and order the LE heated mirrors. Whether or not our USA Xterras are wired for it is another question. I know that the 4Runners were wired for heated mirrors and ppl just bought the mirrors from the Sport/Limited and just plugged it in to thier SR5s. I ordered a repair manual CD off eBay and hopefully there will be images of the assembly. When I get a chance, I'll find a dealership with the assembly in stock and compare it to the manual. I'm hoping it's prewired, I really want heated mirrors after this moring...

·
on line
17 Posts
After talking to several Canadian dealerships, I can confirm that the Pathfinder and Xterra uses the exact same side mirror housing, but go by different part numbers. I also looked over the wiring diagrams and found out that fuse# 43 in the IPDM is for the heated mirrors and the relay already exist for them as well in the IPDM. This leaves the issue of the wiring of the door harness, the heated and non-heated harness is different. The manual I referenced stated that the Canadian heated mirrors use the B10 harness in the door and I confirmed that the harness is available from my local dealership.

I haven't had a chance to take my door apart to take a look at the harness and take some pics, but will do so when I take off my bump to kick out a dent left by some hit&run driver. I'm thinking since we have the main parts, it may just envolve getting the whole heated mirror housing and the B10 harness for our doors and you can have a plug-n-play factor heated mirrors. The B10 harness connects to the heated mirrors harness, then connects to the main harness in the door, which also supplies power/leads to the mirror/door locks and speaker.

The heated mirror housing are around $200 each plus $55 for the harness I recall. So figure about $500 to have a factory heated mirror setup on your Xterra.

·
on line
874 Posts
theres gotta be a cheaper way....

·
on line
874 Posts
I think is possible.....look at this its in the service book

To defrost the rear window glass and outside
mirrors (if so equipped), start the engine and
push the rear window defroster switch on. The
rear window defroster indicator light on the
switch comes on. Push the switch again to turn
the defroster off.
The rear window defroster automatically turns off
after approximately 15 minutes.

·
on line
874 Posts
I searched some more...the pathy shows the same exact part numbers as the X for the mirror, so I belive we could have it its just not plugged in...when I am off call at 7am Ill check it to see...

and when I am talking about part numbers I mean the mirror glass and the motor assembly, the pathfinder and the xterra share teh same glass p/n96365m and the motor unit 96367m there are no other parts listed. I am 99% sure the wires are there and that they are just not connected. Kinda like the fog lights, the wires are there your just missing the lights, except in this case the parts are there too..like I said ill check in the am

1 - 12 of 12 Posts