Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just did rear brakes last night. Replaced pads and rotors with raybestos hd. 2nd time doing pads and first time swapping rotary. Lol. Rotor. 118k miles. Calipers look a little dated/used. I didn't touch them beyond spraying with brake clean. Calipers that is. One slider seemed not too smooth so I took boot off, cleaned and lubed with the brake caliper ptfe stuff. My question is, what do u all do with calipers and slider pins normally when u do a brake job? Are the pistons of the calipers to be rust free? I have just a little rust. Everything is fine with brakes it seems now. I was getting a pulsating pedal and sometimes a squeak in the mountains especially. Seems that it doesn't pulsate any longer bit I really just drove it last night to burnish.

If the calipers are hands off till they get crusty I am thinking of going to nee calipers the next time I do pads and rotors. Probably in another 30k for front and 60k for rear.

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
You can get new pins, clips, etc. to refresh your calipers. You could also try sending them off to be rebuilt, though that would leave your X out of commission until they got back. For the money, you can also just straight up replace the caliper if necessary. No need to replace the opposite side at the same time either - take the old one off, put the new one on, bleed the brakes, hit the road.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the pass side rear rotor center was hot, compared to drivers side, after i pulled into work this morning.

am thinking i need to pull off the pass side wheel and clean and lube the pins. maybe i made it worse by lubing just the one with the ptfe silicone stuff?

what is used to grease the slider pins? assuming you just pul out the pin hard, move boot to lube under it?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
so the pass side rear rotor center was hot, compared to drivers side, after i pulled into work this morning.

am thinking i need to pull off the pass side wheel and clean and lube the pins. maybe i made it worse by lubing just the one with the ptfe silicone stuff?

what is used to grease the slider pins? assuming you just pul out the pin hard, move boot to lube under it?
I always lube the slider pins every time I do the brakes. I use permatex brake grease. Silicone is usually used to lube rubber contacts.

Your passenger side pin is probably slowly seizing so it's not letting go when you release the brakes.. hence the pulsating.. but then again, it could be a warped rotor.

Just take it off and grease all your slider pins and see how that feels.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after lunch i checked the hotness at each rotor front and back. fronts were hot hot, normal. rears were hot but same on each side so I am all good.

no pulsating now after the rotor/pad change last night.... at least so far so it must have been rear rotors afterall but time will tell..

i did check the sliders as in pushing them in/out of the hole while in the boot and they all moved well.... so maybe it was just my left turns this morning causing the pass side brake to work more or get hotter.. who knows.. i don't care as long as it's same now and no pulsating!

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as a follow-up, i drove my jeep to work today. it has discs all around as well, like the xterra. Same commute to work and i had the same exact "symptom". The pass side rear was hotter than the drivers side rear.

So it must be just how that route is. neat.

Also, i checked last night once i got home after driving the x from work and i couldn't tell a difference in temp between the rears. They were warm. not hot like the fronts. And the fronts were not any hotter than my jeeps front this morning after getting to the office so it's all good!

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeep is basically brand new. so no. my point is, what i am seeing on the xterra is the same on the jeep. so its just normal......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts