Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An inside source says Nissan may terminate production of the 4.0L Xterra as we know it after it's 2008 line.

The '05-'07 Xterras fall outside the standard average fuel economy index for it's size, C.A.F.E. Standards...

As far as the possible future of Xterra as a Nissan line, new engines are currently being tested, along with prototype exteriors with better aerodynamics. Complete termination of the Xterra is a last resort.

Here's a link for more explanation on CAFE standards for those of you who are unfamiliar.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm

·
on line
29 Posts
The crappy part is that if the xterra was over 6,000 pounds it would have 1/3 of the restrictions (and be 100% tax deductable). So stupid. If you do any research on the topic it almost feels like a big oil/government conspiracy.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are any vehicles exempted from CAFE standards?

Light trucks that exceed 8,500 lbs gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) do not have to comply with CAFE standards. These vehicles include pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and large vans.

A study prepared for the Department of Energy, in February 2002, by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory found that 521,000 trucks with GVWR from 8,500 to 10,000 lbs were sold in calendar year 1999. The vast majority (82%) of these trucks are pickups and a significant number (24%) were diesel. At the end of 1999, there were 5.8 million of these trucks on the road accounting for 8% of the annual miles driven by light trucks, and 9% of light truck fuel use.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I wouldn't mind my X getting better gas mileage but with that being said, I knew what it got when I bought it.

I am all for upping the standards but not willing to sacrifice looks or too much power to get there :geek:

Maybe some day I will own a hybrid as a DD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts