Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just had my X in for service and they told me the cabin air microfilter needs to be replaced soon. I figured I'd take a look to see how bad it is, since it's a simple procedure to access the filter behind the glove compartment.

Ok so I open her up and take the filters out. As they come out, I see some sort of fluff in there that looks like pieces of wall insulation. I pulled out all of it that I could see, vacuumed the filters and put them back.

Now when I run the cabin fans, there is a humming sound... my guess is that probably some of whatever-it-is fell through when I pulled the filters out, and now it's stuck in a fan somewhere. I tried to suck it out with a vacuum through the filter opening but it doesn't help.

I called my dealer and talked to the service guys, they thought maybe a mouse had lived in there and brought the material in... I find that unlikely because it doesn't smell at all, and there's no trace of animal activity (droppings etc).

Whatever it is it's definitely synthetic, I tried to burn it and it smells of plastic. Here is a picture of it, it's a pretty large amount, about the size of a big grapefruit.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/qo5m.jpg/

So... what is this stuff, how on earth did it get in there, and what do I do now?

·
on line
4,593 Posts
+1 on mouse.

My wife had a mouse move into the AC ducting of her Camry.
Lived in there long enough to produce a litter of 6.
One of the pups apparently got whacked by a fan and died there.
Mom tried to move the remaining pups across the street into a neighbors garage one at a time. Second trip was caught and "stopped" in her tracks.
The remaining pups died in the ducting.

Auto shop not pleased we chose them for the insurance estimate.
Left the car outside for 3 days to air out prior starting the repair.
We're famous at their shop now.

ETA: a mouse/rat etc can squeeze into anything that their head will fit through as their shoulders/hips can collapse to allow it. A mouse head is not very big.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you ride your x on regular basis? it doesn't mean you had mice right now they could have moved out long time ago. I had mice in my Camry after it was left on a parking lot for a week or so. When it starts getting colder mice look for the warm place naturally.

·
on line
951 Posts
It's very common for Nissans to have mice in the blower motor area. If your blower motor is making noise, just take out the 3 screws and unplug the 1 connector and drop it down. Clean out the rest of the goodies that are there. No biggie, really. Be glad the blower motor didn't chop him up on you. Once you get the dead animal smell in there, it's not as fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's very common for Nissans to have mice in the blower motor area. If your blower motor is making noise, just take out the 3 screws and unplug the 1 connector and drop it down. Clean out the rest of the goodies that are there. No biggie, really. Be glad the blower motor didn't chop him up on you. Once you get the dead animal smell in there, it's not as fun.
Thank you! I considered taking the blower motor out, but didn't know how difficult it was...

I just resolved the issue by putting a 1" extension hose on my vacuum and running it down into the blower through the filter compartment. It's now clear and noise-free! No smell anywhere so hopefully the mouse was just a temporary visitor. To be on the safe side I'll check the filters again in a week or so.

Lessons learned:

1) Check the air filters regularly for traces of intruding rodents.

2) Be careful when removing the filters so that no debris from the top of the filters fall down into the blower fan. Check the filter compartment for debris and vacuum as necessary before installing new filters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts