Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, super long time lurker, first time poster. I really appreciate all the folks that post content here, it has helped me alot handle maintenance and fixes. Thank you again.

I have a 2009, SE/AT, she has been a good girl up until a year ago I started to get a loud clunk in the rear diff when placing in reverse. Assy is C200K. Super loud when cold, not so much when warmed up. I can then feel the entire rear lurch coming out of rev and into drive. Got under it a while back and have rotation play in the drive shaft. U jounts etc. are fine.

I recently had the diff cover pulled by a trusted mechanic and he stated I need a new rear Assy. So, what to do from here? Truck has 130K, and generally runs well, I really like the X and want to keep her. Any suggestions on what I should do about replacing the C200K assy?

Thank you ahead to responders.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hello, super long time lurker, first time poster. I really appreciate all the folks that post content here, it has helped me alot handle maintenance and fixes. Thank you again.

I have a 2009, SE/AT, she has been a good girl up until a year ago I started to get a loud clunk in the rear diff when placing in reverse. Assy is C200K. Super loud when cold, not so much when warmed up. I can then feel the entire rear lurch coming out of rev and into drive. Got under it a while back and have rotation play in the drive shaft. U jounts etc. are fine.

I recently had the diff cover pulled by a trusted mechanic and he stated I need a new rear Assy. So, what to do from here? Truck has 130K, and generally runs well, I really like the X and want to keep her. Any suggestions on what I should do about replacing the C200K assy?

I haven’t looked lately, but usually C200k’s are easy to find a fairly cheap. I would just buy the entire axle and swap it. My guess is that would be cheaper than rebuilding your diff, setting up new gears and stuff. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
... I recently had the diff cover pulled by a trusted mechanic and he stated I need a new rear Assy. So, what to do from here? Truck has 130K, and generally runs well, I really like the X and want to keep her. Any suggestions on what I should do about replacing the C200K assy?

couple options...
the C200k axle is pretty common under the X and Frontier. your mechanic can verify your R&P ratio and get a good used axle matching your current.
Z1offroad.com has all the parts you may need. Replace the R&P with new same ratio, bearings, seals... or you can get an all-new axle assy from them (not cheap)
Rugged Rocks ( Nissan Off Road Parts | Rugged Rocks Off Road ) has gears and master rebuild kits. Rebuild both diffs with a re-gear (do you run larger-than-stock tires?)
At 130k mi she's still got MANY miles left in her. Only real limit on these trucks is rust... Nissan celebrated a Frontier with a million miles during the Chicago 2020 carshow.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
couple options...
the C200k axle is pretty common under the X and Frontier. your mechanic can verify your R&P ratio and get a good used axle matching your current.
Z1offroad.com has all the parts you may need. Replace the R&P with new same ratio, bearings, seals... or you can get an all-new axle assy from them (not cheap)
Rugged Rocks ( Nissan Off Road Parts | Rugged Rocks Off Road ) has gears and master rebuild kits. Rebuild both diffs with a re-gear (do you run larger-than-stock tires?)
At 130k mi she's still got MANY miles left in her. Only real limit on these trucks is rust... Nissan celebrated a Frontier with a million miles during the Chicago 2020 carshow.
Just as an FYI - Fronty Axle won't fit. The spring seats are on the wrong side. Also most Frontiers use U joint at the axle instead of a CV. You could swap your pinion flange on but then you need to make sure your getting the proper load on the bearing and risk ruining the pinion bearing anyway.

Failure at 130K is pretty early. Hopefully you have better luck on the next one.

Used to be guys on here trying to give axles away who swapped out to something geared differently.

Nonetheless 3:13 out of a X is super easy to find. Just go to car-part.com and find one close to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
couple options...
Thx for the reply. Just stock tires. I'll take a look at the resources you mention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as an FYI - Fronty Axle won't fit. The spring seats are on the wrong side. Also most Frontiers use U joint at the axle instead of a CV. You could swap your pinion flange on but then you need to make sure your getting the proper load on the bearing and risk ruining the pinion bearing anyway.

Failure at 130K is pretty early. Hopefully you have better luck on the next one.

Used to be guys on here trying to give axles away who swapped out to something geared differently.

Nonetheless 3:13 out of a X is super easy to find. Just go to car-part.com and find one close to you.
Thx for the reply. Just stock tires. I'll take a look at the resources you mention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only real limit on these trucks is rust...
Holy Crap! You aint kidding. I was just under her earlier today poking around and its loaded with rust. I need to get busy to clean that stuff outta there.

Doing a survey of the needs of the rig, here is the list.

1. Replace rear assy
2. replace cats and exhaust system (preventative on cats, exhaust is rusting out and splitting)
3. Replace rear calipers, rotors, pads.
4. Rebuild front end (its a friggin mess, rusted out and grinding)
5. New tires
6. Replace tow hitch (rusting out)
7. Replace rear bumper (rusting out, has holes)

All expensive stuff, probably more than its worth at this point. But it keeps my insurance premiums low for my two kids.

I'm going to buy a new truck soon, just not decided what yet and want to keep this as a hobby truck. Will do the shopping list over the course of this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts