Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, April 15, some friends and I decided to run a few trails. 6 vehicles: 2002 TJ, 95 Cherokee, ?? Comanche, 99 Cherokee, 01 Xterra and me. We tried Farmington Canyon but the gates were closed. 10 mile drive up the sandy road for nothing. Then we drove to Bountiful and went to the top by the "B", got stuck in snow, turned around and did Wards Canyon. It was a good waste of 6 hours, but it was better than sitting at home and watching TV.

The drive up the sandy road in Bountiful

Got a tire stuffed pretty good there. A little twisty on this part

The view of some city (I dont know which one) and the mountains in the background.

The 01 X got high centered, then had to get pulled out

After the mud. NOTE TO SELF: NEVER DO THIS AGAIN

95 Cherokee hit a fence. Corner lens, bumper, and fender.

It was fun. We all had fun. I almost rolled (the rock gave way under my tire). The black Xterra almost rolled trying to avoid a tree, but hit the tree with his roof rack. The red Cherokee is the only one to actually hit anything... and I blame the driver haha. Luckily nobody was hurt during any of this.

As for the video of me pulling the sidesteps off the FJ... my friend took his camcorder and computer to a PC shop down the street... and they broke his camera. They said it "fell" off the counter. I have been waiting for this vid since Sunday!! But now it looks like there will be no vid... hopefully they can fix it or at least save the tape. Nobody makes tapes for his camera anymore, that thing is ancient and bulky. Like carrying an RCA camera on your shoulder (I know people out there still have em!) haha.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Looks like you guys had fun though and some beautiful mountains in the background.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Hey DriverX, do you have any close up pics of those rear lights on your rack? I just got a pair but I don't know where to mount them.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have pics, just took them this morning... The lights are Rally Fog Lights from AutoZone or Checker/Shucks/Kragen, or you can buy them at PepBoys too and Wal-Mart. Everyone sells them. For the mounts I used my old CB antenna mounts, that are actually "mirror antenna mounts" mounted on my rack. Since I broke one antenna, I replaced it with a short one and had these 2 extra mounts.

Installation is simple, just a plug and play setup. I ran the wires to the drivers side tail light assembly, and tapped into the reverse light wires.. both positive and negative. It works fine, but as you can see I have the mount facing back, instead of up (where the light sits on top instead of on the back side). I will move the mount so the hole is on the top and the light sits further back and I can position the light so it points to the sides of the vehicle. The corners seem to be the darkest spot when backing on a trail, luckily I have never hit anything.

And I also mounted some 5 1/2" driving lights to my grill. I dont know if anyone saw them in the pictures. My batteries just died after that last pic so later today I will take pics. Didn't drill a hole either! Just used a big washer on the front and back. Got the lights at 4WPW for $18 a piece! My wiring was already there from my yellow fogs, so I removed those and used the wires for these lights. It works nice, but I wish the lens was clear instead of "fluted" like a sealed beam headlight is. The beam is a straight horizontal line instead of a spotlight effect that I was looking for. Maybe later I will change the lights or lens if I can find some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts