Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay guys i just got this thing installed in the X and i just found out that i cannot watch DVDs unless the car is in park and the parking break is on. I already tried to barely pull up on the parking break to bypass it, but a message comes on that says something like "we detect an unapproved bypass on the emergency brake"

So my question is should i go back to the place that installed it and slip the guy a $50 to work his magic, or is there an easy solution to this problem?

·
on line
315 Posts
Ahhh...the famous bypass question. For me, all it took was grounding the parking brake switch sensor, and that did the trick. However, Pioneer units also use the gyro to detect motion...so it's a more involved process. What unit do you have? N1? N2?

Check out this thread:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=61037&KW=avic+bypass

Do some more searching on the12volt.com and you'll find your answers....good luck!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just talked to "a guy" and he is going to do the bypass for me for a small fee. Apparently it is pretty easy, all i need is a small toggle switch and the 'know how'. I dont have either... but i do have cash :laughing6: so the problem will be solved tonight.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay guys I am happy to report that the problem is solved. All the navigation functions, and the DVD functions work without my parking brake having to be applied. All i have to do is flip a tiny little switch.

armandov99 said:
Ahhh...the famous bypass question. For me, all it took was grounding the parking brake switch sensor, and that did the trick. However, Pioneer units also use the gyro to detect motion...so it's a more involved process. What unit do you have? N1? N2?
I actually have the N3. I dont know how long this unit has been out, but it has everything rolled into one (unlike the N1 and N2). No extra equipment to buy for navigation or to play DVD's

·
on line
315 Posts
Cool, man! The N1 and N2 also had everything in 1...including navigation. I'm not exactly sure what changes from one to the other...anyway glad you got it working!

·
on line
132 Posts
Oh, cool you solved it. Yeah I have the N1 and I used to have a flip switch in the acura, but my guys at Monney just grounded the wire to something in the engine bay and it's always auto-on now. I don't even think you need to have a switch to make it work it full time. But the switch always makes you look cool.

I have the N1, it's still a good unit but definitely not as sick as the N3. Congrats on ur purchase!

·
on line
132 Posts
I'm actually glad to hear that alot of heads here are using Pioneer. Their shit rocks. No other head unit out there can you get all the features we have for the price aka: always-on rear cam, dvd, navi, real-time info about ur ride, auxillary PS3 connects, and of course it doesn't hurt that we won the dB Drag Racing World Champions this year - Congratulations Team Pioneer/Edge Audio and the 2006 IdBL World Titles and set new World Records.

Cuz we're sick!

·
on line
189 Posts
the bypass question..

i got a Jensen 9511 Touch Screen
and all i did was ground the wire to a metal surface
and then a switch..

Works...

but it might be different for a pioneer...

·
on line
315 Posts
frostythefro said:
YOu cant bypass that because its tied into the navigation system, it knows when you are moving
No, you're wrong, there are bypasses for almost all, if not all, AVIC models. You can find the info all over the forums at the12volt.com.

It can be as difficult as soldering on the unit itself (older AVICs which used gyro to detect motion) to as simple as grounding two pins on the harness (newer ones).

For units that require a parking brake "engage - disengage - engage" there are even products like this one:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flasher.html

That do the bypass.

So no, it's NOT impossible.

EDITED to add: All the info on bypassing Pioneer AVIC units can be found at avic411.com.

·
on line
196 Posts
You can bypass, however it negates your warranty if you flip that switch. I believe that there is a module you can by that wires in and that works without tampering with the unit itself and voiding the warranty. To my understanding, the system shuts off the nav/video functions after 10mph.

·
on line
47 Posts
I've got the Avic-N1 in my car and it's possible to bypass the N1 easier than the N2, or the N3. The unit uses a gyroscope to sense when the car is in motion. It then locks you out. Depending on the software version you're running, you can just hard wire the parking brake sensor and it will still work. Another option is to run the video out from the brain into the video in of the back up camera (assuming you don't have one) and you can watch it if you switch the video option on in the unit.

If you have software version 50 or later, the parking brake option won't work, but it is possible to solder a certain portion of the circuit board to bypass it permanently, and yes, it does void the warranty. In my case, I have the N1, so it's well out of warranty. You can technically use "hybrid style discs" from Europe that have US maps and such on them, but it's pointless in my opinion, because you don't get any points of interest or anything on those. There's just no room.

Check this website out, you'll learn everything you need to know about that headunit here:

http://avic411.com/forum/

If you're still having trouble, post which unit you have specifically (the N1,N2, or N3) and I'll try to help out. Judging from the pic, it looks as if it's the N3, and if that's the case, the soldering option is really your best bet, but get someone who knows what they're doing to do it, cuz if it's a botched job, you have an expensive paperweight, as Pioneer won't warranty it.

Cheers!

·
on line
51 Posts
I just bypassed my AVIC-F90BT a week or two ago, really depends on the unit as to what you need to do. However, all Pioneers are possible to bypass, as the factory actually uses it to do diagnostics on the units inhouse. The previous post by deletedpenguin already stated it, but just go to Avic411 and readup.

Here's the N3 bypass:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3153

Looks like yours is kind of convoluted (mine just involved moving a pin in the harness and grounding a few wires out), but sounds like its definitely possible.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
chase i was talking to one of the guys here at one of the local shops while i was pricing dvd units and he said they legally could not do it...but he could tell me how and as soon as i drove off of his property i could do it and it would take 2 minutes...so i would ask around at where you bought it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts