Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess with cold weather rolling in here my X is throwing a fit and i'm on a complaint rampage. The buzzing noise under the hood is out of control. Some people have complained and some have said it's stuff adjusting but i'm 110% positive that it's a heat shield rubbing on something. I just can't f'n find it. Has anyone remedied this?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You sure it's not the hood it's self? If you do a quick search you will find some problems of hoods squeeking.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Not sure if Nissan fixed this or not. That was a big issue with the first gens. Some people would end up trying to add wire to quiet them up. I told people just to take them off and that will get rid of the noise. You might have to have someone under there when you start it up. I would suggest lifting the entire rig off of the ground so no wheels are touching to prevent any kind of accident such as rolling over the person under the truck and I mean putting the truck on 4 jack stands with a good rating like three or 4 tons each.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Mine does this too, only off a cold start though. You start it up, reverse, then as you drive forward it starts with a buzzing hum that only lasts for a second or two and will repeat maybe once or twice. Of course the dealer said they could not duplicate the noise. I guess telling them it only happens from a COLD START didn't sink in.
________
LovelyWendie

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Syndicate said:
Mine does this too, only off a cold start though. You start it up, reverse, then as you drive forward it starts with a buzzing hum that only lasts for a second or two and will repeat maybe once or twice. Of course the dealer said they could not duplicate the noise. I guess telling them it only happens from a COLD START didn't sink in.
I swear it's metal on metal and can't imagine it being the hood. I'm convinced it's a heat shield...I just have to find it.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
McTullis said:
Syndicate said:
I swear it's metal on metal and can't imagine it being the hood. I'm convinced it's a heat shield...I just have to find it.
I think I have the same noise that you're talking about. It happens when the truck first starts up. It goes away after the truck has warmed up. I have a feeling it's a heat shield or a stock skid plate. I had it at the dealer the other day for some other things, and they coldn't duplicate it either due to the rain, which didn't make sense to me. But anyway, next time I have it in there, I'm going to have them look again.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Sometimes I get a noise upon start up that I would describe as more of a tapping than a "buzzing." Dealer told me that it was an AC line vibrating against the firewall. Claimed they fixed it but it came back. I haven't bothered to find it yet, but I'm almost to that point.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
When you guys take it in make certain that the assigned mechanic is the one who walks out to the lot and drives your truck into the garage. That is the moment when the noise is going to occur. My dealership has some dude vallet the Nissans into the garage and I'm sure this is why the mechanic "could not duplicate" my noise. I went back and got pretty mad at them. When I told them "upon cold start and initial acceleration" that's exactly what I meant, not "upon arrival to garage after being driven by some gomer".
________
Kissing Advice Advice

·
on line
44 Posts
as of yet our o6 or mt hasnt been bit by this bug yet. good luck in finding the noise. those kinda things drive me crazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts