Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying our first xterra for use as an overland vehicle. It's an 06 with 193k on the clock. Super clean inside and out. Needs the trans replaced of course. It's cheap, only $700. What do you guys think? One owner vehicle as well.

·
Well then...
448 Posts
$700?? See if they might take $500 and a case of beer!

If you can do the work, do it. This vehicle might be a victim of SMOD (google Xterra SMOD) if you aren’t familiar, so possibly plan to replace the radiator and either by pass the trans cooler or be an external one.

Knowing that I know, I’d buy it, plan on spending an additional $1200-$1500 with some elbow grease and either driving it to death or selling for some profit.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yeah if its clean and no rust issues, I'd take it. plan on replacing the trans, radiator and doing the timing chain job as well as possibly catalytic converters. once you take care of those potential issues it should do you well!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seconding what mtnbound said. I purchased an 06 three years ago with 170k miles on it. It had the trans cooler bypassed so no SMOD, but I replaced the radiator and did the secondary timing chain tensioner replacement (while I liked the supercharger-like sound the engine made, I knew it was on borrowed time!). Also replaced every coolant hose on it and gasket that I broke to do the timing chain job. Its been a rock-solid reliable vehicle that I don't hesitate to take on long trips through Death Valley and into the Sierra Nevada mountains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts