Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny is gone in my '07 so going to do the VK swap. I'm considering buying a wrecked titan from an auction. Some say "Run and Drive" some say "Starts" others listed as "Stationary" I'm guessing the best deals are going to be on the "Stationary" units. The one in question (a 2008) took a hit from the drivers side rear corner hard enough to snap off the left rear tire at the axle flange but little if any other damage. What are the odds that if a guy cleared a couple of codes it would start right up. I know there are quite a few codes that will cause a "no crank" scenario in the Xterras. All dash lights, light up when key is turned on.
Is anybody on here familiar with the Crash protection fuel shutoff or similar devices and or circuits on the Titans that might cause a "no crank"

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’m not gonna answer your question directly, but sometimes “no start” cars are only because there is no key, or because a battery cable was cut.
Some cars also have a fuse that blows if airbags are deployed, so no power unless you bypass it or replace it.

If you plan on using the engine and transmission, I’m not sure I would try to save a couple hundred bucks just because there’s a chance it could be something simple. I’d buy one labeled as runs/drives.
At least not unless you can go see the truck yourself. Some auction cars get prettied up to look like there’s less damage than there actually is.

GL on the swap :) hoping to do the same sometime.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
936 Posts
A friend of mine buys a lot of auction cars and was looking for an Xterra for me before I found one. He said the auction companies do basically nothing to them except try to start them and put them in gear so runs and drives does not mean the took them for a drive, simply that it started and the trans went into gear. He said he doesn't touch anything that doesn't at least "run and drive". But "Starts" could be a trans or diveline issue, "Stationary" could be the engine is trash, bad starter, cut cable form the accident or just they don't have the keys so obviously this is the biggest gamble.
If I was buying one for a swap I would make sure it "runs and drives".

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not trying to thread jack - but what does a not starting 2008 Titan go for - estimate?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not trying to thread jack - but what does a not starting 2008 Titan go for - estimate?
Really depends on the state, seller, condition. For example Texas seems expensive because truckparts, rebuildable, maybe export to Mexico?

Stationary 2008 Titan in VA Copart (1N6AA06A08N351844) - $600
Stationary 2008 Titan in KY Copart (1N6AA07C78N336094) - $825
Stationary 2008 Titan in AZ IAA (1N6AA07D88N317692) - $1425
Stationary 2011 Titan in MA IAA (1N6AA06F28N300728) - $1600

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love that website but a major factor to consider in those choices listed the Copart units one was 2wd and the other was seller undisclosed and if you notice handles had been removed looks like it had maybe already been picked over by the seller then relisted. Iaai are almost always Insurance owned which means chances of getting scammed is much lower but the price will be higher. There is no way I would buy a copart car without pre-inspection. a good rule in life is "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
man i hope to see how this works out as this is kinda something i want to do if my vq40 chokes.

there is a nice looking 4x4 titan down the street from me that literally hasn't moved in at least 6 months, no visible problems with it. I want to put a note on it asking how much they'd sell it for, or just offering a few thousand. I've been thinking of either making a titan overland rig or finding one to engine/ suspension swap into my X.

i'd spend a few hundred, maybe a thousand more for one that is listed as at least starts or runs and drives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man i hope to see how this works out as this is kinda something i want to do if my vq40 chokes.

there is a nice looking 4x4 titan down the street from me that literally hasn't moved in at least 6 months, no visible problems with it. I want to put a note on it asking how much they'd sell it for, or just offering a few thousand. I've been thinking of either making a titan overland rig or finding one to engine/ suspension swap into my X.

i'd spend a few hundred, maybe a thousand more for one that is listed as at least starts or runs and drives.
for an overlander the titan wheelbase is a little long unless your just running the most basic trails. full T Swap X is the way to go. IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts