Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post :) Thought y'all would know best.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 Xterra, auto, 4x4, 88k miles.

Body, interior, engine bay, suspension all looks good for 88k.

My question is, how does one determine if the transmission has had radiator fluid leak into it? I would absolutely perform the mod as soon as I took ownership. But what does one look for? Can't really drain the transmission fluid to check color before you purchase it. Not sure any outfit would allow that without guarantee of purchase.

If there are any other items to look out for, could you please list them and steps to troubleshoot/identify issues?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
192 Posts
From what I gather it's all internal. I've taken it to a few dealerships/mechanics and has always checked out. Mine is a 2008 with 72k miles, 4x4 etc. basically it leaks then fails with no signs before it happens. That's all I know from what I've seen. But maybe someone with more "know" can chime in. Otherwise welcome. We all love our X's!!! I know I do!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't really drain the transmission fluid to check color before you purchase it. Not sure any outfit would allow that without guarantee of purchase.

Thanks,

M
Seems like very reasonable request to me - might cost dealer $75. for some fluid and 1/2 hour mechanic time.

If tranny is contaminated, so is coolant. Open radiator cap and see what it looks like.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Another obvious - it's too late - sign is that when you test drive it and you feel the rumble strip feeling. I've felt it before and it happened at about 35mph when the rpms were low (right after a shift and it has settled in)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another obvious - it's too late - sign is that when you test drive it and you feel the rumble strip feeling. I've felt it before and it happened at about 35mph when the rpms were low (right after a shift and it has settled in)
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the description you're using. Rumble strip?

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like very reasonable request to me - might cost dealer $75. for some fluid and 1/2 hour mechanic time.

If tranny is contaminated, so is coolant. Open radiator cap and see what it looks like.
Excellent. I might just have them drain it. I should be looking for a brown mucus-like substance within the green yes?

Is there a tried and true way to reproduce the symptom while driving? Is it just the 35-40 mph rumble?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Yeah, checking it is the best way. Just saying if you drive the thing and it feels like you're driving on rumble strips (they look like this:
) then it's too far gone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, checking it is the best way. Just saying if you drive the thing and it feels like you're driving on rumble strips (they look like this:
) then it's too far gone
Excellent description. Thanks guys I believe I have enough to go on. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 2005-2009 Xterra without some kind of paperwork/receipts that can verify that the SMOD issue was fixed. I was unaware of the issue when I bought mine, but luckily I did bite on the extended warranty and it has paid for itself 10x over already. My SMOD didn't appear until about 105,000 miles. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Dont forget the timing chain issue and the fuel sending unit. Those seem to be the other serious issues affecting X's of that year. Unless it was real cheap or had a good warranty I'd pass. The '10s and up seem more reliable. I may complain about some things Nissan left off the X but in near three years it has been reliable and only needed oil changes. Changed the battery but that was for peace of mind. I feel confident it will serve me well for a few more years. However, after reading about the issues that many face with the 2005 or so I wouldnt feel comfortable with one. The SMOD is truly serious and the others are annoying yet pricy fixes . Run a carfax and try to get a warranty

QUOTE=weber58;1662945]I wouldn't buy a 2005-2009 Xterra without some kind of paperwork/receipts that can verify that the SMOD issue was fixed. I was unaware of the issue when I bought mine, but luckily I did bite on the extended warranty and it has paid for itself 10x over already. My SMOD didn't appear until about 105,000 miles. Just my opinion...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thats kinda true with any vehicle, first few years are the bug fix years.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 2005-2009 Xterra without some kind of paperwork/receipts that can verify that the SMOD issue was fixed. I was unaware of the issue when I bought mine, but luckily I did bite on the extended warranty and it has paid for itself 10x over already. My SMOD didn't appear until about 105,000 miles. Just my opinion...
Same here. When I test drove it, there was no issue (that I could see). I don't know if I was just excited or what... but when I test drove it, I heard/felt nothing. A month into driving it, I felt signs of SMOD.

Extended warranty covered it. Thank god!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would buy one from someone on here, even if I had to travel. Post a WTB. Probably someone looking for something newer.

I have had zero issues with mine - built late 2008. I did eventually change the rad pre-preemptively at 100K.

I would just take it to a dealer, and tell them specifically you want to check for SMOD. Any decent Nissan Dealer should be able to figure that out for you for a couple hundred bucks. Well worth it. Also, it might be best just to look for one that is still covered with the 80K extended rad warranty, whatever year, which would make life easier for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts