Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking off my rear bumpstops, simple job right? Not when im doing it. I lube up the bolts with pb blaster, take one off, then go to take the other off and instantl the head of the bolt shears off. Nothing left hanging out to grab onto. I have some Easy Outs.............Those didnt work. I got bothe sides off, and one bolt fucking stuck in the welded nut. So i just took the bumpstops off entirely and im going to the hardware store to buy all new bolts. Now what in the hell am i supposed to do to get the busted nut out! The nut stuck in the frame i mean..............HELP!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
could start to drill it out. I had to do that on my jeep, when I put a new rear bumper on one of the heads popped off that i was holding on the old hitch.

Took a punch and made a start in the bolt, and started drilling, small bits first working your way to large ones. Eventually you will get to one that is almost the same size but a bit smaller than the bolt. Once there all you do is just have to knock out the metal that is in left in the nut threads with a wire or small screw driver.

Make sure your bit is straight when drilling and apply even pressure. It helped I had an extra hand to do the job to hold the drill straight while I applied pressure and was trigger man. Since I was drilling upwards which is what i assume you will be doing.

I am sure someone might have a better idea but this worked for me, but took about 45 minutes of slow persistance.

Good strong and sharp bits will help the job go quicker.

If nothing else, go see USMC, I bet he could get it out :geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
So the nut is still good but the bolt is snapped off?

Torch and a set of Irwin screw extractors and a cordless drill.

Drill your pilot hole.
Heat the bolt up.
Use the cordless drill with the screw extractor.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jason, ill check tomorrow, if they dont have em, ill go with the drill. I had already thought about just kicking the bolts ass and drilling it out, and then just using the bolts and nuts that came with the timbrens, they are long and would work well even with the welded nut in place. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhg............never easy!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
it goes back to my theory, what ever time frame I give myself for a job, it takes twice as long and is twice as hard.

Good luck tomorrow man.

I think I will hit mine with some PB now just to keep them clean for when I make the switch over.

ps, i just read your sig about the brick is that new or have I been oblivious to it, regardless i am sitting here laughing at it

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.........i smacked the easy out into the hole i drilled into the busted bolt, and then decided to heat up the bolt with the blow torch as an extra measure to help lossen it up. Well after i heated it up and gave it a good turn with the vice grips............the whole damn think came out, welded nut and all. Im glad nissan did a crap job putting those "welded nuts" in there.

So i then was able to reuse to old nut and bolt in the back, and use the tiumbren bolts and nut in the front. After this weekend im going to try the heat up and smack out technique on the rest of em and just use the hardware that came with the kit.

Here is what it looks like now, you can see the new bolt

Here are both chunks of the old, you can see on the right the bolt still in the nut......p.o.s!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts