Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the tech that's swapping my snow tires over called and told me I have a broken leaf spring. I'll take a closer look at it at tomorrows MOD day and then :violent1: my self for not getting it checked before the warranty expired, two weeks ago.

The common refrain is that the rear leafs of the xterra are weak. They break easily would be my experience, but I felt they performed okay for my use. So, what are my options given that I don't really want to get any lift, but would like better performance.

My plan is to get a small trailer, and if necessary I was going to get airbags to manage the additional load (based on stock springs) to keep things level during towing. Is there an off-the-shelf leaf pack that would perform better then stock? Not looking for any lift.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The OME Dakar leaf springs from Nisstec are about $375... in stock. +150 pounds 1.5 to 2" lift.

The IRONman leafs have about the same amount of lift.. but an extra 300 kg of weight (zounds)

It seems any replacement other than stock is going to give lift.. we do have a big custom spring company (Standen's) here in cowtown.. anyone had any luck getting their own springs made? and if so.. do you have specs available?

Okay.. Blackout was posting as I was typing.. thanks

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I called standens for a replacment pack and it was 1000 bucks... **** that

What leaf is it. I have an old set we can replace the broken one with

And I'm getting Alcans in the next month. You can have my springs when that happens. No charge , all your

If you wanna wait , I think my springs still have lots of life left. Only 40000 km

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a set of springs sitting in my yard with 100 000 Kms on them. I can split the pack to help you guys out if sombody is heading east to saskatchewan at some point as well. might be a bit expensive to ship the full springs to calgary.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's stand-up support Steady thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what leaf it is, I'll check tomorrow during mod day. I only had 45,000 km on mine so.. 40,000.. 100,000 might be a little of the old garbage-in garbage out trade.

$1000 for Standens, $700ish for Alcans, 300 or so for new stock.

The OME Dakar leafs seem mighty impressive value for what you get... but lifting only the rear seems to be insane... good mod day tomorrow to figure this out.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hey Saint Urho, just wanted to throw it out there for ya man, I completely understand where your coming from with the garbage in /garbage out.

as for the OME leafs, that's what I installed on my rig and love it. Nisstec is great to deal with and I received my order at a cross in Noonan ND with in 48 hours of placing the order

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
That's stand-up support Steady thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what leaf it is, I'll check tomorrow during mod day. I only had 45,000 km on mine so.. 40,000.. 100,000 might be a little of the old garbage-in garbage out trade.

$1000 for Standens, $700ish for Alcans, 300 or so for new stock.

The OME Dakar leafs seem mighty impressive value for what you get... but lifting only the rear seems to be insane... good mod day tomorrow to figure this out.
I was really happy with my 2 inch front spacers , rode the same as stock only a bit higher , no difference in the ride.

I have a few sets of spacers you can have, 1 inch, 1.5 inch, 2 inch

You could get ome and add a spacer to match

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as for the OME leafs, that's what I installed on my rig and love it. Nisstec is great to deal with and I received my order at a cross in Noonan ND with in 48 hours of placing the order
Are you using a spacer on the front? Did you install yourself? If yes, what's the degree of difficulty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have the OEM Darker and without the rear shackle installed, these leafs settled 1/2" over stock ride height.

With shackles and a extra leaf added I gained 3.5"

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If you are looking at ~$300ish for stock replacements, expect to spend another ~$200 to ~$300 adding support (Roadmaster Active Suspension, SumoSprings, AAL, timbrens, airbags, etc) to make the stockers what they should have been from the factory.

I added a roadmaster to my stock leafs when they were practically new and at almost 4 years and 60,000 miles my rear still looks and works good since the roadmaster takes most of the load.

But if I had completely blown stock leafs I'd buy a better rear leaf pack like OME and call it a day. You'll address the weak (now broken) stock leafs and add some towing capacity.

A 1'' inch rise in the rear really makes no difference. And its easy to install on your own.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do I need to change my rear shocks to longer travel units? I can see that there might be an advantage to that as the springs add lift, therefore the shock might restrict wheel drop (Steady will tell me to get rid of the sway bar as that's what is really going to restrict things) but I'd rather not change shocks at this time. I'm not trying to get a lift advantage , I'm trying to get a load capacity advantage. Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do I need to change my rear shocks to longer travel units? I can see that there might be an advantage to that as the springs add lift, therefore the shock might restrict wheel drop (Steady will tell me to get rid of the sway bar as that's what is really going to restrict things) but I'd rather not change shocks at this time. I'm not trying to get a lift advantage , I'm trying to get a load capacity advantage. Thanks all for your input.
Depends on how much lift you are adding. For 1'' or under you should be fine with a stock suspension.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I also have an old pair of stock springs hanging around. not sure how much it would be to have them re-curved by a shop, and also not sure if it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have an old pair of stock springs hanging around. not sure how much it would be to have them re-curved by a shop, and also not sure if it's worth it.
You went with the Standen's springs on yours if I remember? What was the cost? and they just match stock? You have lift via adjustable shackles?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Are you using a spacer on the front? Did you install yourself? If yes, what's the degree of difficulty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
sorry for the delay. I am using spacers in the front, ( has those installed while I was in New- Brunswick visiting family and had no tools with me. as for the leaf springs, I installed them with rescue 119's help in about 4 hours in one afternoon. ( had a short medical break and a long coffee break)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts