Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, i cant spell for crap, "milage" looks odd...........Anyways. I was just wondering what the milage on your Xterras were when you blew your diff, front or rear? I know the final answer is we probably have shitty diffs. But i was just wondering if it had anything to do with miles on your truck.............Or better yet the miles offorad you put on your truck.
What about the year the truck was built? Is it only the 05's?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Thinking about it there really has been only a handful of broken front diffs on this board. Off the top of my head here is the list

Greg - 05
Muzikman - 05
Syndicate -06
8th Man - 05
Black X in Wester PA - 05

·
on line
376 Posts
I'll add my Frontier since its virtually the same.

'05 Frontier Nismo
(2wd w/ Locker) *spider gears broke*

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Someone came out of a Moab area hot tub with one tire spinning in reverse, at least as MC saw it. Mosi apparently was there too. It sounded to me like a possible symptom of driveline wind-up, which I've read about and felt, but never "seen." (Check the broken diff guys thread). But anyway, I didn't think that guy broke a diff.

For the record, Syndicate's diff went just a month or so ago, in '07.

·
on line
71 Posts
With an open differential when the driveshaft is spinning forward, and one wheel is not spinning (leaving the other wheel spinning) - it too will spin forward.

Mechanically there is no way for it to spin in reverse.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Add my name to the list. It's posted in one of the other half-dozen threads about this here..
'07 AT OR
8900 Miles
The front blew out in sticky black mud of doom.
Replaced, under warranty.[/b]

·
on line
1,831 Posts
S
Automatic
33" tires

Broken at a stand still, no wheel spin, all throttle, wheels turned at ~3/4 turn.

·
on line
75 Posts
2005 OR 6spd, 33 MT/Rs, very hard abuse!!!!!

rear ends 2
front diffs 2
front axles 3
lower A-arms 2
clutch 1

Other than this I have been very pleased with this vehicle. I love the power!!!

·
on line
37 Posts
This is a great thread, but I wouldn't mind having a little more detail.
For those of you with broken diffs, what were the circumstances?
2wd, 4-hi, or 4-lo ?
e-locked or not ?
MT or AT ?
What about terrain? rocks, mud, gravel, etc... ?

I'm starting to worry because I just bought a hitch and will be towing a boat soon. Maybe I should use the old Jeep instead.

Anybody out there toasted a pumpkin from towing?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
So far, no one has had a problem towing. All of the people I know who have had driveline problems wheel their vehicle.

My front diff failure was in 4Lo in a thick mud at 3am while trying to pull a friend of my brothers out of a place he should not have been.

My rear diff was on a 15mph residential road in 2wd on dry pavement. Now, this is when I noticed the failure, my guess I weakened it a few weeks before (the last time I was wheeling).

I don't think I beat on the X, but I don't take it easy either. I try the harder lines.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Did u get your rear axle fixed yet?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts