Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 X. I just replaced the clutch and flywheel with OEM parts a week ago. I have about 150 miles since the clutch change and I can still smell a burning clutch smell after stopping. Yes, I am breaking it in. No fast starts, riding the clutch, etc. I'm keeping the RPMs under 3,200. And, yes, I have experience with driving manual. Any idea how long the smell should last?
Also, when I bought it, the clutch engagement was very high on the pedal. I've read on forums this is a common complaint with manual Xs. However, now, the engagement is very low on the pedal.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Several thoughts here:

Perhaps the adjustment of the flywheel to clutch wasn’t done properly? Did the shops also replace the slave cylinder? Was everything bled properly? Finally, and to be clear I’m not making any accusations, are you sure you’re driving it properly? There was a recent post about a guy who “knew how” to drive manuals and it turns out he didn’t (was over reviving at launch for fear of stalling out). Again not saying that’s the case but our clutches DO NOT tolerate abuse so bad habits that were fine on another platform become issues on the X. Starts should at or under 1,000 RPMs anything above that and your burning it up. Again, not making any accusations just noting it’s a possibility based on the info provided.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,414 Posts
My clutch engagement point is (was) very high in the range. I did the clutch adjustment to drop it just a little. I've never heard of our clutches engaging very low in their range, doesn't sound right. Also ...
"Yes, I am breaking it in. No fast starts, riding the clutch, etc. I'm keeping the RPMs under 3,200." That's good but, old man that I am I guess, that's how I ALWAYS treat my clutch, not just break-in!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several thoughts here:

Perhaps the adjustment of the flywheel to clutch wasn’t done properly? Did the shops also replace the slave cylinder? Was everything bled properly? Finally, and to be clear I’m not making any accusations, are you sure you’re driving it properly? There was a recent post about a guy who “knew how” to drive manuals and it turns out he didn’t (was over reviving at launch for fear of stalling out). Again not saying that’s the case but our clutches DO NOT tolerate abuse so bad habits that were fine on another platform become issues on the X. Starts should at or under 1,000 RPMs anything above that and your burning it up. Again, not making any accusations just noting it’s a possibility based on the info provided.
No offense taken. Yes, I am gentle on the start offs. I give it just enough gas to begin to move. I'm not sure about the slave cylinder, but I don't think they replaced it. I've read that the burnt smell can last 400-500 miles and some say they never smelled it. I had a ford ranger that I did a clutch job on and do not recall smelling the burnt clutch smell on it, but that was a long time ago. Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My clutch engagement point is (was) very high in the range. I did the clutch adjustment to drop it just a little. I've never heard of our clutches engaging very low in their range, doesn't sound right. Also ...
"Yes, I am breaking it in. No fast starts, riding the clutch, etc. I'm keeping the RPMs under 3,200." That's good but, old man that I am I guess, that's how I ALWAYS treat my clutch, not just break-in!:)
HaHa...well I, too, take it easy at all times, but I am being especially careful for the break in period.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Several thoughts here:

It seems to take some getting used to. I was over rev it by accident for a while.

My first car was a 5 speed Toyota pickup. I loved how it shifted and it spoiled me.

My X seems like wants to rev too high. On the Toyota I could press the gas and peg the rpm just where I wanted it. If I press the gas on the X it just seems to keep climbing. It makes hill starts a little less convenient.

the X's rpm is slow to fall also. I could shift much faster in the Toyota. Rpms fell as soon as you press the clutch.

Hopefully I didn't wear the clutch too much when I was getting used to it. The pickup never needed a clutch

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
When I had my clutch worked on afterwards when they started the truck it generated some some smoke and smell.

We determined some grease had gotten on the outside of the exhaust and was just "burning off" as it got heated. The smell lasted for more than 50 miles. Hope your issue is as simple to solve!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts