Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently went to a mountain campsite and on way up I had 4x4 hi set with vdc on. I noticed the abs coming on a couple times while hitting slick spots on the climb, yes, climb. I assumed this is the abls or whatever its called kicking in to limit wheel spin by hitting the brakes. The smell was coming from the rear drivers side. Didn't note if pass side was same or not. I had no further smells on way down or way home, 200 miles. Climbed this road before and never noticed this. Could this be just the brakes over heating due to excessive use of the abls system on the climb? I did notice a whole lot of slip.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
287 Posts
pull off your tire and take a look around to see if you can see anything odd or different from normal. while your in there check to see how thick your brake pads are or if they are wearing evenly. and i have to ask, but you didnt climb with the e-brake on did you?

·
on line
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pull off your tire and take a look around to see if you can see anything odd or different from normal. while your in there check to see how thick your brake pads are or if they are wearing evenly. and i have to ask, but you didnt climb with the e-brake on did you?
Will pull off when I rotate next and check next week. As far as the ebrake, possible that I could have hit the lever up a little but not enough to set the light. I would have seen the red brake light for sure. It didn't smell again on way down, 18 degree or 32% grade slope or on way back home, 200 miles. Thinking maybe the ebrake was dragging if I did happen to nudge it up a hair or, perhaps it was the vdc/abls causing the smell applying the rear brakes when it detected slippage. Just wasn't sure how much vdc/abls activation/use would cause a corner to heat up that much to make the smell.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will pull off when I rotate next and check next week. As far as the ebrake, possible that I could have hit the lever up a little but not enough to set the light. I would have seen the red brake light for sure. It didn't smell again on way down, 18 degree or 32% grade slope or on way back home, 200 miles. Thinking maybe the ebrake was dragging if I did happen to nudge it up a hair or, perhaps it was the vdc/abls causing the smell applying the rear brakes when it detected slippage. Just wasn't sure how much vdc/abls activation/use would cause a corner to heat up that much to make the smell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Checked under truck. No leaks or stains at wheels behind backing plate or around calipers. Bone dry. Master cylinder full. Breather for diff fine. Can't see this being a diff seeping but who knows. I would think I would see a stain on the backing plate. Got to either be a sticking caliper though o did the rear brakes 47k miles ago. Originals lasted 70k miles. Might think about doing the backs again this spring with new discs anyways. I think in my case the abs or ablsd was just working it. I haven't smelled smell since that one time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,446 Posts
So I recently went to a mountain campsite and on way up I had 4x4 hi set with vdc on. I noticed the abs coming on a couple times while hitting slick spots on the climb, yes, climb. I assumed this is the abls or whatever its called kicking in to limit wheel spin by hitting the brakes. The smell was coming from the rear drivers side. Didn't note if pass side was same or not. I had no further smells on way down or way home, 200 miles. Climbed this road before and never noticed this. Could this be just the brakes over heating due to excessive use of the abls system on the climb? I did notice a whole lot of slip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, heated brakes. I get it all the time as the passenger's rear is the "power wheel" when under acceleration. Always get the smell on slick climbs or driving on snow covered roads when the skinny pedal is used.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
I have a small lazer temp gauge.. when I do long trips anytime I stop for gas I point the lazer temp to all wheels to compare temperatures and my rear diff. just to be safe.

·
on line
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a small lazer temp gauge.. when I do long trips anytime I stop for gas I point the lazer temp to all wheels to compare temperatures and my rear diff. just to be safe.
Went up today with about 600 lbs in truck than last time and it was dry. No issues or smells.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts