Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
844 Posts
the rear bumper step just unpegs from the metal bumper piece, just grab at one edge and pull up. or you can get up under it/behind it with a flashlight and a screwdriver and undo the clips. not hard.

G

·
0 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Has anyon thought of Rhino or Herculining the steps? I kindof want to see how much it would cost because i want it to match my shrock bumper (black).
steve, 05xor has done it.

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DragonPB, u sure about that. Apparently someone whacked the step while I was parked. They whacked it just enough and on the right spot to push the step off of the first couple of pegs. But, when I looked at it yesterday, it seem that there are two screws in the front because the plastic points where the screws screw into were also busted off. Tonight I figure since those were already busted, I would just do what you say and yank the only thing off since it was busted anyway and they're only like $8 on courtesyparts.

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USMC XTERRA said:
It only takes like 5 min to take the whole bumper off!
Just undo the 4 bolts on each side, disconnect the light harness and it drops away. Lines up pretty easy on install also.

MC
That's just the center. I need to fix the bumper step on the driver's side.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Max
Are they those new plastic rivets that hold the fenders etc around the wheels? If so they are asy to remove, just pull up the center portion first then the rest pops out. Don't force 'em or they break and cost too much for being cheap plastic...

·
on line
844 Posts
oohhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought you meant the rear bumper's step, not the side step. yeah, the side (pocket) step (part you step on) just unpegs too. I took all the panels of my x last weekend and painted them, I'm pretty versed in how to rip this bad boy apart now. to remove the part holding the step, there are like 4 or 5 screws in the wheel well, two or three pegs underneath, and two bolts directly below the tail light bolts, and then just pull on it, it's in place with some clips. The pocket with the step removes from the back, it's in place with some (retardedly designed) 10mm nuts on plastic screws (try not to ever have to take it apart, it'll never be as secure again.

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take a look again this weekend. Hopefully it won't be 100 degrees. Based on DragonPB's response, I have to take the wheel off and pull the splash shield? Because the two broken screws are towards the front and I didn't see how I could get to that from underneath.

Based on Rouge's response, it just pops out? I'm not sure about that one because there are some screws involved.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Pictured above by Muzikman, Dana took his off the easy way. Try that! Then just call insurance from a parking lot and say some grandma did it and let a bodyshop do the har work? Bad idea?

I also thought you were talking about the center part.

MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Thanks muzikman, that's almost perfect! the pocket is in there with nuts like i said (nuts, ha ha) and the step portion just clips in. Yes, I painted it all black, which was a son of a bitch (I did most all of the prep work) and when I clean it up this week, I'll take pics.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll be popping mine off shortly to Herculine them along with the Shrock rear bumper.

I also want to pull the rack off and Herculine the bars, but I am worried that it won't go back on.

·
on line
844 Posts
do tell, is herculiner a spray on, readily available product? Cuz I want to do that really bad if so, the grey steps are killing me now.

Thanks muzikman!

p.s. what's better, rhinoliner or herculiner?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Herculiner is a DIY bed liner. It can be sprayed, but it's most commonly rolled on. It's pretty nice stuff. My sliders, front bumper and lower doors are done in it. The only problem with it (and I actually like it) is that it's not UV protected so it fades. I personally like the faded look, but if you actually saw my X you would see I don't care too much about looks. :)

As for which is better. Rhino liner is going to be better, but it's also going to be really expensive. I have also heard great things about LineX, if you are going to have it professionally done. There is also a product called DuraBak (sp?) that comes in many different colors and they have a line that is UV safe.

·
on line
844 Posts
here's my (almost) all black X. forgive the pics, I'm still going to paint the handles and side strips, so I haven't bothered cleaning it yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts