Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the rear bumper shackle mounts are MUCH thicker than the front?
Not that anyone has pulled them out yet but I would think that the mount in front would fail before a good Grand 80 rated shackle would...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, those shackle mounts would be stronger than anything you can put on them. They are a "T" shape and instered from the back and then welded on both sides.

As to why they are thinner than the rear...I don't really know. I wish they were thicker. I think it would "look" better, but it wouldn't make them any stronger.

BTW, if you are that stuck, my guess the bolts holding on the bumper would fail before the shackle tabs.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Jim's answer on a previous post:

It's 1/2" thick steel. The slop actually makes it less likely to bend the tabs. Bending them is highly unlikely...If you do it, you will have other problems on your hands.

The tabs are much stronger than the recovery straps and even the shackle will fail b4 the tab.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Dude-Man said:
Thats cool. But then why are the rears 1" thick?
Looks mostly, and that it is a std. part used in lots of our products.

The one on the front bumper is made from 1/2" plate. It's about 8" long on the inside of the bumper. It stiffens the entire bumper and spreads the load when recovering. Making one this tall out of 1" would be too much weight.... they would probably weigh 12 lbs each.

If we used the shorter tab we use in the rear, you'd bulge the face of the bumper if you yanked hard enough on it.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
So what CAD system or you using Jim? Pro-e, Solidworks, and Inventor all look similar. I like Solidworks and Inventor the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts