Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next time someone has their front bumper off it would be really helpful if you could take (as accurately as possible) dimensions of all the critical clearance dimensions.

I am thinking about modeling the front of the Xterra in 3D so I can design multiple styles of bumpers, since we are so limited by available suppliers. It would probably be easiest to sketch it and put the dimensions on. I may have to just bite the bullet and remove my own bumper for the dims but I don't have the space to do that right now.

I doubt Nissan will just hand out detailed drawings of the front end to anyone but if you know where I can get those that would be awesome.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
i wanted to do this same thing... but instead of moddeling front bumpers i was gong to model a winch carrier that bolted right up to the frame so i could mount a winch behind the factory bumper.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I'll be doing this in about a month (hopefully). I am not looking forward to pulling the stock bumper just to put it back on (sounds like a pain), but gotta do what is necessary I guess. I've already drawn up a bumper, but dimensions are very approximate as I just measured with the stock bumper still in place, and it doesn't have any bracketry yet (guessing wouldn't even be useful for those).

Guys who have the Shrock should be able to get a few basic dimension pretty easy, ala distance between frame rails, frame dimensions, etc... maybe???

·
on line
1,695 Posts
AutoCAD. I probably won't detail the frontend so much as I will detail the bumper... I just need the frame and other frontend dimensions for bracket placement, aligning with bodylines, etc.

·
on line
254 Posts
xterraguy4life said:
i think i will design mine using solidworks. just learning autocad.......
That is becoming more common than you think. See a lot of new grads coming out knowing ProE better than SolidWorks, ProE must have an academic agreement. Been a few years since I’ve been in the field though.

Even a medium sized contract manufacture usually has a laser modeling device that will scan and shoot output to a 3D file. Before that many companies had a device that looked like a pen plotter, but the pens were measuring heads and the arm would swivel and pivot over the object and then output to a pen plotter.

You could use expanding foam to mold the inside of the bumper. Any inside curves enclosing the foam will cause issues on removing the mold intact and may have to work it up in sections. Even with a release agent I’d want to wrap it in plastic just in case. For a one off it would be a lot of work and added cost though.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xterraguy4life said:
i think i will design mine using solidworks. just learning autocad so i dont kno much yet lol.......
I use both AutoCAD and Solidworks. I would definitely use SolidWorks if you know it and have access to it. You can always export the SolidWorks drawing as a dwg to get it into AutoCAD later. Are you going to model the front end of the X as well or just the bumper?

RockyMtnX said:
AutoCAD. I probably won't detail the frontend so much as I will detail the bumper... I just need the frame and other frontend dimensions for bracket placement, aligning with bodylines, etc.
The same thing goes for getting AutoCAD drawings into SolidWorks and using them to create the 3D model. If you design the bumper and want to see some 3D screen shots I would be happy to model it if you provide me with your drawings. Completely up to you.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
im thinking just the front bumper that is mounted brhind the fache'. the hollow part. that is what i want to replace with a custom made bumper that is strong enough to support a winch and be able to mount behind the plastic cover. hopefully if everything works right it will be able to mount to the factory bumper location and still have enough support and strenght to actually mount and use a winch from. i would have to cut out a little bit of the front lower airdam for the fairlead but i dont want to have to buy a new bumper to mount a winch.... kinda like a stealth winch idea. well thats what my dream is... lol... lets see if i can make it a reality...

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a really good idea but you are definitely going to have some pretty accurate measurements of the area around there cause it is going to be a tight fit. Thats why I figured I would start by modeling the front end of the Xterra first (of course once I get the front bumper off I might change my mind) then I can design anything I want for the front end...Within reason of course.

Anyway keep me updated on how its going. Screen shots of the model and or drawing would be interesting to see.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
most certianly will i have my 3 sets of calipers ready and everything else i need to get the measurements. now i just got ta take the front bumper off lol in all my spare time... i will probably need 1 full day to get all of the measurements, and put my front back together... so i probably wont start on this till this weekend. heck i might leave it off for a few days so that i can get the measurements. might have to resort to driving an Aveo... :pukeleft: ahhhh now that i think about it i might rather walk to school than take that thing... lol we will have to see lol... but i will keep u up to date on the progress...

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I already have a 3D model of the bumper in AutoCAD, but as I mentioned, it is just a very rough idea since I haven't any measurements other than with the stock bumper in place. Haven't even considered trying to detail any of the brackets... I'll probably just try to build them from scratch when I pull the bumper off, then add them to the drawing. I am hoping to pull the bumper off towards the end of next month. The X is my wife's daily driver and she has a business trip for a few nights, so I'll probably try to pull it off and do the necessary measuring/bracket fab while she's gone. Otherwise, I think I'll need to designate a whole weekend to the task, and that definitely won't be till summertime.

I'm excited to learn Solidworks, but haven't played with it yet. I'm in school for Technical Drawing, in addition to using AutoCAD at work, so I'll get to use it eventually. Until then, AutoCAD works well with patience and thought.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
u already have a model of the front bumper... well lets see it man... lol. ill send u a pm with my email so that u can send it to me. i have solidworks on my laptop. its a start and it will be easy to add onto....

·
on line
152 Posts
ive thought about this many times too. I have SolidWorks student version for another year or so but dont have the time to do this kind of stuff while I am still in school. Do any of yall know how much a private license is for SolidWorks?

And save a screen shot of the bumper and let us see !!!

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hokiexterra22 said:
ive thought about this many times too. I have SolidWorks student version for another year or so but dont have the time to do this kind of stuff while I am still in school. Do any of yall know how much a private license is for SolidWorks?

And save a screen shot of the bumper and let us see !!!
It is pretty expensive. Just the update training 1 day was $200 and thats only because we have the subscription service we pay $1600/yr for technical support etc..

This following info is from a quote, when we originally bought the software (July 7, 2006), for the comprehensive training 8 day course. It was $2,945.00 that includes SolidWorks Essentials 1 (4 day), SolidWorks Essentials 2 (2 day), and Advanced Assembly or Advanced Part Modeling (2day). I opted for advanced assembly because of what I do at work.

Really the two essential courses, maybe even just the first one, alone get you well on your way. We received a training bundle package discount of $700.00. So total it came to $2,245.00. Unless work paid for it I doubt I would have done it.

Your best bet especially if you are strapped for cash is to work through the tutorials in the help menu. They will actually help a lot.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Sure did. The model was quite a bit more basic, as it was really my first learning experience with 3D, but this one is quite a bit more detailed now that I know the program a little better.

·
on line
254 Posts
hokiexterra22 said:
My recommendation would be to get another 2 yr. copy of the student copy for ~$100 right before you graduate. There is a neutered copy for personal use to download for free but it is crippled and has a 90 day renew process. Basic SolidWorks CAD is $4K plus $1,500 yr. subscription. Premium is $8k plus $2k subscription a year.

In the manuf. world the cost is higher by the time you add in all the modules you need. Then to do product lifecycle management (vaulting and version control), tie in the BOM to supply side MRP\ERP supply chain integration, add ECO to shop floor package, cost of the software isn’t that much in comparison to total cost of ownership.

Nice job on the bumper BTW. Where is the air flow modeling? j/k Out of the box SW has internal modeling for 1 stream but no external streams. One company I worked with paid $22k for just one seat of heat transfer and air flow modeling (rack server internal cooling design).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts