Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm approaching 90k miles and I have done the bypass, haven't had time to do the radiator swap yet but it will be done soon. I'd like to fix everything possible before it breaks. What can I do to make it as reliable as possible?

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
160 Posts
Replace the radiator and get rid of the bypass. Listen for the timing chain wine. Other than that just fluids and filters.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
896 Posts
In case you haven't come across this thread it is a good read to identify some weak areas of the '05-'10 Xterra. Some easy, cheap fixes, other more expensive and involved.

Regardless, you will know what might likely fail during these production years.

·
on line
2,648 Posts
Replace radiator, get rid of bypass. Timing chain is coming, will make noise in colder weather and start up. Check that bloody rear axle diff breather, if there's not an extension on it then I guarantee its clogged (could blow out the axle seal if not able to breath). Carry around an extra IMPD fuse thingy, known to have issues on '06 but I haven't experienced. Carry extra camshaft/crankshaft position sensor (mofo's left me stranded in Vegas en route to Hammers).

Other maintenance items I've done with that mileage, I am now at 165k on my 06:
Front hubs
u-joints
Suspension probably needs a refresh if on original gear; new leaf pack, new front C/O's, new rear shocks.
Oil pan crush washer, can leak if over tightened.
Replace battery if older than 5 years.
New FSU due to bad gauge.
Installed trans temp probe into trans test port, I tow and this was at the time the only way to pull trans temp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts