Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X is my DD and even though I have taken it on a few trails, they aren't severe enough that a Bull Bar would have any negative effects.

My question is, is there a way to keep my tow hook and have have the bull bar? I know that you have to attach the BB mounts to the frame where the tow hook is attached but what about buying longer bolts so that you could attach the BB mount, then put the tow hook back on? Without having the mounts and looking under my X, would it cause my open tow hook to be a closed tow hook? Would having longer bolts weaken the tow hook? Also is there somewhere else to attach a tow strap on the front end other than the tow hook?

Just looking for some insight before I buy a BB.

Thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
From what I can remember the BB mount didn't look like it would allow the tow hook to line up with the bolt holes. Also stacking is just a bad idea. Extending the bolt with the BB mount in the middle is just adding a lot of probability for failure with the leverage that would be placed on those bolts during a pull. Even if it is able to bolt up I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can remember the BB mount didn't look like it would allow the tow hook to line up with the bolt holes. Also stacking is just a bad idea. Extending the bolt with the BB mount in the middle is just adding a lot of probability for failure with the leverage that would be placed on those bolts during a pull. Even if it is able to bolt up I wouldn't trust it.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yeah that style will negatively impact the tow hook. Besides the added distance from the frame that the tow hook will be and the extra force of that, I suspect if you put the force of recovering a stuck truck on that tube it will crush like a pop can and the tow hook won't be secure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if your needed at tow hook to be pulled out then you are on trails "severe enough" that bull bar is a bad idea anyway.
My towing concerns are more related to deep snow and pulling someone else out!:blackeye:

I won't be getting rid of my tow hook but was hoping there was a way I could have both the BB and hook.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that style will negatively impact the tow hook. Besides the added distance from the frame that the tow hook will be and the extra force of that, I suspect if you put the force of recovering a stuck truck on that tube it will crush like a pop can and the tow hook won't be secure.
Yep you're right. I would never hook a strap to anything not directly attached to the frame. I'm sure damage would ensue if I tried otherwise.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I would rather pull someone out by a shackle or hook attached to the tow hitch. Pulling in reverse might not be a good idea

My towing concerns are more related to deep snow and pulling someone else out!:blackeye:

I won't be getting rid of my tow hook but was hoping there was a way I could have both the BB and hook.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would rather pull someone out by a shackle or hook attached to the tow hitch. Pulling in reverse might not be a good idea
I totally agree but sometimes the situation doesn't allow. It's more peace of mind knowing I have the tow hook than actually planning to use it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I installed a bull bar and lost the front hooks. I am still looking for a universal type hook that will work w/ bull bar. I got the bar for lights. Didnt use the tow hook in three years so I figured the xtra lights will do more for me

I totally agree but sometimes the situation doesn't allow. It's more peace of mind knowing I have the tow hook than actually planning to use it.

·
on line
951 Posts
I have a bull bar and would love to be able to keep both on but it sure doesn't look doable. What I do now is take the bull bar off and put the hook back on when I know I'm going wheeling. It only takes 2 minutes. Good luck on a solution.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a bull bar and would love to be able to keep both on but it sure doesn't look doable. What I do now is take the bull bar off and put the hook back on when I know I'm going wheeling. It only takes 2 minutes. Good luck on a solution.
Well, I went and bought the BB and longer bolts in an attempt to stack both the BB and tow hook together. If it works it works and if it doesn't, oh well. I'll do some testing to see if the tow hook will hold after I put it on saturday and will report back. Lucky for me I have a buddy that said he would buy the BB and put it on his Frontier if wouldn't work with the tow hook on my X.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I wasn't able to keep my tow hook. I can attach the tow strap to the bracket that bolts to the frame and pull but a hard jerk wouldn't probably cause damage. I like the looks with it on but will keep the tow hook close by just in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts