Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
So after dragging my Stock Bumper over all kinds of obstacles, and a trip to Katempcy planned for this weekend and possibly needing a Winch. I decided that it was time to build a Bumper. I started with this.

Then went to this.

The 5/16 Material was a mistake, it should have been 3/16, that's what happens when you rush things. Then to this.

And ended up with this stack of parts.

Here is some of the build.

I'm not done yet, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with how well every lined up. I have less than a week in this from the first mock up until now. The best part is the Fab Shop I used to Laser Cut all of the parts didn't charge me anything for Labor or Material.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looks awesome! Front bumpers are challenging due to all the angles.

What winch will you be using? You might want one with a relocatable solinoid since you're boxed in up top.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Very Nice...especially for free!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks awesome! Front bumpers are challenging due to all the angles.

What winch will you be using? You might want one with a relocatable solinoid since you're boxed in up top.
Not positive yet, I have been looking at smittybilt because they are super cheap and they have a lifetime warranty. but I have heard mixed reviews. I did take several winch configuration into consideration when drawing the bumper up. As long as the solenoid can be mounted off to the side I will have plenty of room.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Nice work, I enjoy seeing these type builds - I appreciate seeing the skills/creativeness of other owners. It looks like you have this planned by what I see in the first mock-up photo, but you are planning on utilizing some lower frame bolt mounts too?

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I hope u plan on incorporating other mounts other than just the stock bumper mount.
It looks like you have this planned by what I see in the first mock-up photo, but you are planning on utilizing some lower frame bolt mounts too?
I missed this the first time through; but yeah, I'm with these guys ... Be sure you tie back to those Lower Mounts, as well as the Front Horn Mounts. Here's a good post from Surf and Snow, as to the why, (from the AOE4x4 Bumper Thread) ...

Always good to see more support for the Xterra. That said, I'd be very concerned that it only Mounts to the Front Frame Horns and does not tie into the strong Under Frame Mounts. The Front Frame Horns are minimally welded to the Frame and are not built to withstand pulling forces such as those achieved in recovery procedures. They can easily rip off. In order for this Bumper to be able to confidently be pulled on, it should be designed to tie into the underside of the Frame where the Frame can handle recovery forces.

This post is not intended as any type of insult, attack, or any other rude post, but intended to raise awareness and hopefully help product refinement.
ex:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work, I enjoy seeing these type builds - I appreciate seeing the skills/creativeness of other owners. It looks like you have this planned by what I see in the first mock-up photo, but you are planning on utilizing some lower frame bolt mounts too?

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos.

Yes this will also be mounted to the lower frame.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I see it now, in the side-view of your cardboard ... cool. :thumbleft:

... might be cool to see this as a diy 'flatpack' kit for folks who have some welding skill and a desire to make their own bumper ... but that's perhaps more than you want to take on.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I see it now, in the side-view of your cardboard ... cool. :thumbleft:

... might be cool to see this as a diy 'flatpack' kit for folks who have some welding skill and a desire to make their own bumper ... but that's perhaps more than you want to take on.
That's actually not a bad idea! Put together puzzle bumpers! Cheaper to ship too :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts