Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my budget sleeping platform built out of plywood and 2x4s. The curtains are from Amazon and strung on a long bungee cord from Harbor Freight. The mattress is a tri-fold memory foam mattress from Amazon. I like how I can partially collapse it to drive around while camping, or I can fold it up into the back when not in use or extra space is needed. Rear window visibility is limited when it's folded up, but not gone.

I built a sliding out platform drawer that can hold everything I need for cooking and eating, plus extra supplies. I have enough storage on either side of the platform for more camping gear.

It's not fancy, but I was able to build it very inexpensively with just a drill. I had all of the wood precut to size at the Home Depot. It is easily removable and I didn't have to alter the interior in any way.

I hope this gives anyone who wants to use their Xterra as a camper some ideas!

Room Bedroom Furniture Bed Bedding

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
788 Posts
That looks very nice and very practical and what else do you need ! as long as it works and dose what it needs to do, well done ! :D (y)

·
Registered
2009 Off Road 6 speed, 55,000 miles...
189 Posts
NIce!! I like that its easy to use, cheap, and can quickly fold up to use that back seats...good work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks man! Here's the mattress I'm using. It's really comfortable! It was less expensive when I bought it tho.
I have the same mattress and can confirm it's warm and comfortable. With a couple blankets I was totally warm in -10C weather. I don't doubt it would be fine down to at least -15 but it doesn't get that cold where I live. With my platform it lifted it above the wheel wells but I had to cut a couple notches in the foam for the D pillars around the hatch and the seat latches. Otherwise It fits perfectly.

Here's my build thread. It's not exactly a budget build though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys. Trying to make this queen size platform bed for my son. I've got the inner part (where the mattress sits) down but I'm trying to figure out the best option for the 8-9" edging on the 3 sides. One plan showed grooves cut out on the base for 2X4's to rest in and then the cantilevered pieces would rest on that. Is there any other way? If you look at pic two, you can see where the edging is resting on something else. Any ideas on how to achieve this look??? The other issue is getting the mattress to sit at least 4 inches down "in the box" to hide the sheets and blankets that are tucked in. The mattress is 11" and I'd like the finished product to be at least 16" off the floor, if possible. The picture shown, says 5 1/2" floor clearance. I love the look of this bed, but not for $3600!! 👎
I'd appreciateany help in the plan section!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys. Trying to make this queen-size platform bed for my son. I've got the inner part (where the mattress sits) down but I'm trying to figure out the best option for the 8-9" edging on the 3 sides. One plan showed grooves cut out on the base for 2X4's to rest in and then the cantilevered pieces would rest on that. Is there any other way? If you look at pic two, you can see where the edging is resting on something else. Any ideas on how to achieve this look??? The other issue is getting the mattress to sit at least 4 inches down "in the box" to hide the sheets and blankets that are tucked in. The mattress is 11" and I'd like the finished product to be at least 16" off the floor, if possible. cushion throws The picture shown, says 5 1/2" floor clearance. I love the look of this bed, but not for $3600!! 👎
I'd appreciate any help in the plan section!! Thanks!
no response

1 - 8 of 8 Posts