Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2010 Xterra X with 4WD, and am mainly a city dweller who likes to hit the mountains (gravel roads) to get to Mtb trails, etc. No off-roading, really. Was looking to improve the look of the X a little. Been reading up (wow, a lot of content) on leveling/lift that I can accomplish myself, and probably looking at 2 inch spacers and 1.5 shackles to raise/level the X. Trying not to kill the ride, or get metal to metal clanging but in extreme cases.

So I think I fit into "Case 1. If you are doing moderate to limited offroading, have no plans for big aftermarket bumpers, and have no heavy towing on the agenda a spacer and shackle lift would probably be just fine. " from this thread: 05+ Xterra Lift Options | Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (thenewx.org)

So, these are some in stock, priced similar, options:

...but some infer cam bolts, and not sure about how to install that, and if it is required, or a nice to have. This thread seems to say that they are not needed as long as I stay 2 inch or lower, but I want to go to 285's, so not sure?

Finally, this mention about 33's confused me, as it seemed to infer that it could offset the possible need for UCA's?? 2nd generation, 2" lift problem | Page 2 | Nissan XTerra Forum (clubxterra.org)

Was going to use this as a guide video: Nissan Xterra Rough Country Leveling Kit - YouTube

Any thoughts/major concerns. I saw one thread that said something like (I read about avoiding PRG?) but I cant find where they are talking about.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Do not order a single damn thing from PRG. You may or may not ever get what you order.

Now that that is out of the way Nisstec and Alldogsoffroad are two great Nissan aftermarket parts sellers. Can't go wrong with either of them. Cam bolts will get you a better alignment, I would buy them. Spray all nuts and bolts with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, ETC every day for a week beforehand.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
...probably looking at 2 inch spacers and 1.5 shackles to raise/level the X. Trying not to kill the ride, or get metal to metal clanging but in extreme cases.
That might be bit of an issue. Some guys love the ride of a spacer/shackle lift, others hate it. I bought mine with a 2" spacer lift and it rode like a dump truck. I hated it. I had severe UCA to coil bucket contact on the slightest of bumps. I quickly ditched the entire suspension for front and rear take offs from a '15 P4X and it's a million times better, but no lift. Also, shackles have been claimed to shorten the lifespan of the rear springs, but that's debatable. Add a leafs are an option, but will stiffen up the back a bit. By far, the best is to get a full on 2" lift kit, if you want to retain factory ride quality.

Cam bolts - just get them. 2" lift up front you'll likely need them and they're cheap. You can always just bring them with you when you get an alignment and let them install them, if needed.

And good on you for doing your research and staying away from PRG - that guy is a piece of work.

After all that being said, I personally love the look of an Xterra with stock height suspension on 285's. Do the melt mod and unless you're flexing out the suspension, you'll only see very minor rubbing, if any.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
@Tlrtucker, is that 285's on stock in your profile pic?
No, that was when I first got it. It had a shitty lift on it. 2" spacers up front but was only sitting about 1" to 1.5" higher than now on stock suspension. The rear had a double add a leafs which sat about 2.5" higher than stock.

Here's it sitting on stock suspension with the same 285s:
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Land vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts