Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Best budget 265/75/16 ATs - January 2014 (prices installed @ dicsount tire)

• Cooper Discover HT $483

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Kumho Road Venture KL78 $556

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Goodyear Wrangler Armortracs $581

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Cooper Discover ATP $650

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 $716

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Get something else man

Votes: 4 14.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this question comes up a lot. Sorry. I've got this pretty narrowed down I just wanted to post up the list and prices installed from discount tire and see if any of you guys have advice/input on them.

I'm currently on 285/75/16 BFG ATs, they're awesome for sure, but 99% of my driving is highway and I'm killing them. I want something in the meantime that's still decent height, robust, good mileage and could handle themselves off road.

On with the lineup... (prices installed)
Cooper Discover HT - $483

Kumho Road Venture KL78 - $556

Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac - $581

Cooper Discover ATP - $650

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 - $716

Thanks for any input guys, just looking for experiences with these or other tires you guys have had. I'll do some more research on the side and update too with what I end up doing.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Those cooper discoverer HT's look like they'd be awesome on snow and ice. They have tons of siping, and would be pretty compliant.

A friend of mine had the Hankook Dynapro on his silverado and didn't like them.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Anything but the Discoverer ATP. They are complete junk. They are obnoxiously loud, don't stay balanced as well as other A/Ts I've run, and they really aren't that great at anything. This is the 10th A/T I've run and by far the worst.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hankook ATMs are excellent tires. Relatively quiet, ride well, excellent on road, in the wet, dirt, etc. I have no snow experience with them, though. Looks like the price has gone up on them since I last bought them, but they are still pretty reasonable. I am running the Hankook MTs now, but I will probably go back to ATs when the time comes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No surprise here the pricey tire is the one with a solid backing. I'll eventually get a set of rims for my 33 BFG and keep those as my off road rubber, looking for something more budget though. The BFGs ran me about $1200, I'd really like to get something in 265/75/16 for <$600.

That leaves the Kumhos and the Goodyear Armortracs to investigate. I'll check into em.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These guys knocked the Kumho KL78's pretty bad as "easy to puncture"

Haven't seen anything negative about the Armortracs yet. I may go with those. I know tires are a get-what-you-pay-for product, but like I said, I really just want something that can 98% daily drive and go around light-medium trails every now and then. I'll have the BFG ATs for big trips.

·
on line
750 Posts
I'm running Falken Rocky Mountain ATR's at the moment and they are decent on and off pavement..although I miss my BFG AT's for the latter. Barely had any snow here this year so I can't comment on that. They can be siped by Discount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I found a set of stock wheels/tires with ~10-20k miles left on them for $350 that I may snag so I don't have to deal with dismounting my BFGs. This may delay my budget AT 31.5" search for a while...

Guess I just have to live with stock tires for a bit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I love my Cooper A/T3's. TreadDepot.com has the C-loads for $135/tire and the E-Loads are $149/tire plus they have a $50 instant rebate. Prob similar performance as the ATP's.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i ran a set of kumho KL78s for close to 50k miles on my truck. they rode OK, but never did balance right and weren't awesome in very wet conditions. i now have goodyear duratracs which are a lot louder but ride better. out of those i'd go with either the goodyear, hankook or coopers. due to the balancing issue i had i can't recommend the kumhos, even though i've had good results from them in the past on cars i've owned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the Goodyear Armortracs are the best candidate for a budget tire, I'll update with review if/when I get around to getting them.

I got the wheels over the weekend, stock tires. I'm looking forward to hopefully 20mpg. Except when I did my lift I went from 18 to 15mpg on 33s... I wonder if it's something else. That doesnt seem right to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts