Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
237 Posts
Shrockworks is probably the closest you are going to get...which of course involves removing the factory bumper. I haven't seen an actual brush guard that accepts a winch (doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, you need a "winch bumper" if you want to mount a winch. It'd tear a brush guard right off.

·
on line
331 Posts
I can only assume the reason you want a brush guard instead of a bumper is to save money. If that is indeed your intent you can mount a winch with a front mount receiver like this one:

link

But if you are serious about off roading a winch bumper is the way to go.

·
on line
95 Posts
x67934 said:
I can only assume the reason you want a brush guard instead of a bumper is to save money. If that is indeed your intent you can mount a winch with a front mount receiver like this one:

link

Has anyone installed this in the X?

How much ground clerance do you lose (if any) on the front?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is someone who did it (I think to hold fishing rods or something). The approach angle is already limited so adding a front hitch will limit it even more.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
muzikman said:
There is someone who did it (I think to hold fishing rods or something). The approach angle is already limited so adding a front hitch will limit it even more.
It seems to be limited even with the shrock. I find following a first gen X over the same rock ledge I am usually dragging the shrock skid where he has no problem. Of course it could be my error.

·
on line
331 Posts
As far as the front reciever goes I do not think you would lose any ground clearance. It bolts to the frame and up front there is plenty below the frame rails that would hit first. It would probably limit your aproach angle as would anything that sticks out from the front of a vehicle.

·
on line
238 Posts
The other problem with the reciever again is what is the payload? How much winch can in handle without ripping off the front. A reciever hitch for the rear is not rated real high, so I cannot see one on the front being much different. I wouldn't trust it past 5000lbs. You're playing with fire if you surpass its pulling load.

I vote winch bumper is the only way to go for pull load and protection.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I honestly cannot imagine that most of us will ever pull more than 5,000lbs. That's enough to pull your Xterra up into a tree like a monkey.
However, the thought of potentially having your winch rip off your bumper while under strain has "dangerous" written all over it.

·
on line
641 Posts
GISX said:
x67934 said:

link

Has anyone installed this in the X?

How much ground clerance do you lose (if any) on the front?
OK, I can't annswer your question specifically about the Xterra, but I can explain my experience with my prior vehicle, a 1992 Pathfinder.

Shortly after buying my Pathfinder, in 1992, I bought a Warn 8000 winch, mounted in a Warn multi-mount. There were no aftermarket front receivers available, so I had a local shop make one. I also bought and installed a rear receiver. You can see the winch on the front of my PF in this photo:
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=5745&pic=5

Whether mounted on the front or rear receiver, it severely limits your approach/departure angle. Over the years, I've hit the roller fairleads on the front of the winch many times, just going through cross-ditches on gravel roads. Sometimes, I would take the winch off, and put in in the back of the PF, just so that it wasn't always hitting.

I have done self-recovery, using both the front and rear receivers, with no problems, and I've also used the winch/multimount + the front receiver to do various tasks such as pulling heavy boulders uphill, etc., all with no problems.

More recently, I had a local shop fabricate a piece that had a 2-inch tube to fit into the front receiver, with a vertical piece, and a short receiver tube on top. That allowed me to mount the winch up about 12 inches higher, and that arrangement fixed the approach angle problems, so I could comfortably drive the PF with the winch on the front. I only used that setup to drive when off-road, and I never used it for winching.

As for my X, my Shrock front bumper arrived in Vancouver today, so in the next few weeks I'll have it on, including the above-mentioned Warn 8000 winch :)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Personally I don't like the bumper idea. The only reason I found this site was because i found in Google a thread where black panther said it was working on a winch brush guard. That was a year ago and still no product. I am thinking on designing one and have it made. there is a land rover design that i like a lot.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
syndicate said:
I honestly cannot imagine that most of us will ever pull more than 5,000lbs. That's enough to pull your Xterra up into a tree like a monkey.
However, the thought of potentially having your winch rip off your bumper while under strain has "dangerous" written all over it.
I don't know about that. What does the X weigh stock? (between 4100-4400lbs). With standard recovery gear I bet it adds 100-200lbs. Then all the aftermarket steel I bet adds 400-500lbs. So now we are up to 4600-5100lbs. Now add in the strain from being stuck (rock ledge, mud, etc). I bet you commenly winch more than 5000lbs.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
syndicate said:
^^^ goodbye approach
That's what i thought but we have one and it kind of follows the original angle of approach. still you may loose 2 or 3 degrees but that's something i can live with

1 - 15 of 15 Posts