Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Another noob question worth asking. In the realm of front-end reinforcment, Are grill guards/brush guards/bulls a waste of money?

I used to have one on my Jeep and all it did was mess up the handling, diving the vehicle in panic stops, due to weight. I can see that they give you some protection in low speed impacts, but can you imagine if you accidentally struct a person? Seems also it could really goof up the safety features of the xterra's crumple zones.

In my situation, a full-on ARB front bumper is a bit over-the-top. :laughing3:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A brush guard is worthless when it comes to protection. If you wheel, it also screws up your approach angle. They are pretty much there for looks.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Worthless in a front impact situation often causing more damage in minor impacts by folding back into the body. KILLS!!! your approach angle, but might stop a few scratches from brush. But a brush guard is lighter than a shrock bumper, just remember it is like comparing apples and oranges...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Did they pass that law in NY no Bull Bars? They said it would kill a pedestrian. I think they are right. I'd hate to get creamed by a Shrock. But you'd bounce off a factory set up. But a Bull Bar does do more damage to both people and the vehicle on a bump. So I'd stay stock and do that cool Grille Mod someone did here (Painted) or Get some real protection from a winch bumper. Why go half way? MC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts