Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
So here is my problem, some of you may remember from ecxc. I apparently have a broken plug to the solenoid on my m226 locker, its the female end that goes into the diff that somehow broke,in this plug runs the 2 wires i need connected. I have no clue how it broke and see no other damage to any wiring, I found out because I couldn't get my locker to engage at ecxc. I've been doing some research and clearly this isn't a common issue and Nissan doesn't sell just this plug and you have buy a new diff to get a $5 plug, typical.
My questions, should I go to the dealer for warranty? I've got 49k miles so it should be covered, but then I have to deal with them and all the questions I'll get about going off road etc, which I'm willing to deal with if they fix it.
Or, try to fix it myself by searching for a new plug, or last ditch effort pull my existing plug apart and just run new wires and connect.
Any ideas or feedback would be cool, I haven't had the desire to deal with this until now, gotta do something.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
So it's definitely the solenoid plug and not the indicator light plug? That's to bad dude. I looked at both plugs and you are correct, I could not find that plug anywhere. I'm sure it's possible though. I'd say give Jersey Parts a start there and see what he can find for you. (can't remember if I checked with him or not) The next thing to look at will be whether you can actually just pull it out and replace it or not. I know that with the plug for the indicator light that is not just a plug and replace at all (it controls the switch for the indicator light which will shift positions if the plug is removed completely, to my knowledge, the only way to get it back in is to pull the gears). Hopefully the solenoid plug does not come with those complications, but it wouldn't shock me.

Since you are under warranty I would absolutely try it. Don't offer any more info then they ask for. I'd tell them the differential won't lock when you try to engage it and let them figure it out. Given that it is a modified truck, they may not cover it, but it absolutely can't hurt to try.
That would be my first avenue of approach. From there, if they say no then I'd look into how best to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do . I have no clue how it broke and am not convinced there may have actually been something wrong with the plug. There was no other damage to any other wires or the area so seems odd if something got jammed up in there. I'll post some pics soon. Also, just some info for others, locker light would blink and then just go dark, never solid to show it was engaged, lead me to start checking all connections

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I never brought this to the dealership, I only viewed that as a wast of my time. I know what they would say and would not fix it. I'm now thinking of ways to hard wire this, I essentially need to drill 2 holes in my current plug, cut the wires and solder them and seal it up. Sounds easier than I think it will be. Any one ever done this or have any ideas? I'll probably get a decent wire with a weatherproof coating on it and use rtv or some type of silicon sealant to seal the holes.
Ideas or thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts