Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Thanks for having me in the group. I have a 2012 Nissan xTerra 4x4 and I regularly tow a +-3600 lb travel trailer (loaded weight) with a WDH and stabilizer bars. I noticed lots of sag, and then I found a broken leaf spring. I don't do much real 4x4ing (rough roads are a regular occurance). I want to replace the leaf springs and make my suspension stronger and better so it won't sag when I tow. If I put new leaf springs on, will I still need helper springs? I replaced the rear shocks 2 years ago. WHat do I need to tow my travel trailer without sagging and breaking stuff? Thanks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, your leaf springs are shot and not just the broken leafs. So its good you are not trying to bandaid the existing springs. A few things to consider for starters - replace current springs with factory spec spring rate then add supplemental spring capacity like air springs or bump stop springs to support added load (guys, what is the factory lb/inch spring rate), or, replace current springs with higher spring rate leaf packs. What is the tongue weight of your loaded trailer?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Obviously, you need new springs if yours are broken. But check out an air bag set up like this one to keep the rear from sagging under load. That set up allows you to have the "softer" oem suspension for everyday driving and when you're hitched up to a heavy load they inflate to eliminate the sag and allow your stock rear springs to work without sagging and breaking stuff. Otherwise you're going to have to go with a heavy duty spring that will make your ride much more harsh.

Also, FYI, a broken rear leaf is not uncommon on these trucks. It could have something to do with all of your hauling, but it might just be the result of cheap spring steel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As others said, the rear leafs are a known weak spot - on my 2010 which never pulls a trailer one just snapped at 105k miles.

I pull a boat once a week in the summer with my 2013, around 2900lbs all in - I added a cheap pair of helper springs from Autozone last summer, made a big difference for $40 and 15 minutes of my time. Will eventually replace with airbags, but once you've replaced the leaf springs, the helper springs are an easy bandaid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
But check out an air bag set up like this one to keep the rear from sagging under load. That set up allows you to have the "softer" oem suspension for everyday driving
That's what I have and it is a good compromise. You do need to keep a minimum amount of air in the air bags so they don't get pinched and torn.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you get OEM springs, you will probably want helpers for towing.

You could buy General HD springs or aftermarket springs that let you add load weight on them (Alcan for example).
with those I don't think you would need helper springs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So participants in this forum are on the same page - An X with a factory fresh suspension and 4 adults in it can be considered OK. Any more weight (especially behind the rear seats) the rear springs would be marginal in supporting the load. So it comes down to the factory springs are not good for handling much load. So how much added weight are you adding (added equipment, stuff in the back, trailer tongue weight, etc.) so you can estimate how much more spring capacity you need to keep the rear from sagging/bottoming out. Do you want that higher spring capacity all the time (heavy duty replacement spring packs) or only when load is added to the truck (air springs or bump stop springs, etc.). AALs (add-a-leafs) stiffen the existing spring pack so when replacing the existing leaf springs, AALs shouldn't be considered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts