Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to fill up my X yesterday and I couldn't for the life of me get the gas cap off. Twist, turn, pull, push, no dice.

Luckily I was within 5 minutes of a dealership. Took it in, they changed the cap out within an hour and then proceeded to charge me 35 bucks. :angryfire:

Not covered under warrantee. They didn't charge me labor though, just parts.

I'm sorry, but a 7 month old truck shouldn't have a broken gas cap. Or one that's so fragile that it breaks that easily.

·
on line
564 Posts
Did they explain why it wasn't covered under warranty?

Rob

·
on line
612 Posts
Hmmmm... isn't that how caps work, a little pressure to get them going and viola! eh... I guess you don't always have to screw them hard. I guess it's just not nice to do.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Some complaining, a trip to the showroom floor to talk (insistently) to the person that sold you the X, a phone call or two to the 800 #, some threats about their damn survey, a call to the top management of the dealership--whatever it takes. That's absolutely inexcusable. It is a warranty item unless they can prove owner abuse.

·
on line
564 Posts
MachineHead said:
They claimed it was my fault for pressing in on the cap when I open and close it.
Yeah, sounds like BS to me! I'd definitely have to talk to the service manager about that.

Rob

·
on line
589 Posts
Didn't replace it yourself with a locking one at least? Call me paranoid...but with gas prices as they are in San Diego I don't see it as unlikely that someone would steal gas from an SUV with a large tank.

·
on line
358 Posts
Time to go back and talk to someone higher up. Guess what, the gas cap is part of the emissions control. Check this out. http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/warranty.html In section 9 it has a "Warranty Parts List" and it lists "Fuel Tank and Filler Cap"

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Sweet.. good deal.. I will be watching my Gas Cap now.. in my 07 SE X. But in Orygun. We have trained Gas monkey's that fill our tanks. :)

What broke on it? any clues we might watch out for??

·
on line
1,739 Posts
MachineHead said:
They claimed it was my fault for pressing in on the cap when I open and close it.
... and then showed you in black and white in the owner's manual where it said that?

No way - no possible way that's not covered.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
No way - no possible way that's not covered.
x2!!!!! We can not put up with that kind of crap. I don't care if it's just a gas cap, if necessary, we should organize a calling campaign to that dealer service department. Respectful, insistent, calmly threatening. Twenty calls, thirty. We love this vehicle and market it every day. Do not f__ with our people!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts