Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently went on a trip where my transfer case went out on the rwd mode.
Smelled smoke and then it went out and wouldnt move.
I switched it to 4x4 mode and it would move. After a block the drive shaft sheared off the rear differential. I picked it up off the ground but noticed the bearings were dry. I had just replaced the rear drive shaft cv 3 months ago. Now im wondering why it sheared off after months of driving. The back was heavily loaded down and i was squatting in the rear.

Im not sure if a bearing went out in the transfer case and was a result of the vibration from when the cv on the drive shaft went out 3 months ago. My buddy thinks there was something that went out like a bearing on the slip yoke area of the transfer case.

I used marine grade grease for the drive shaft cv btw. Not sure if that was a mistake seemed like others have done it but now I'm not so sure.

My buddy thinks it's the angles of my 4 or 5 inch suspension lift and thinks i need a double carden drive shaft made. Not sure what caused it to go dry so quick or sheer off ive driven short distances on road in 4x4 mode before. Didnt think slow turns would instantly do that lol cause ive kinda done it before without issue.

2nd issue is the front CV axles broke as well after being weighed down in the rear. What's the maximum angle people have been able to get away with on a m205 titan swap front end? Is there like a no go zone so I know where to dial the coil overs to? Ive been fine for years now but weighing it down in the rear seemed to really put me in a rough patch for angles and reliability.

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
208 Posts
Can't provide any titan swap input, but was looking to clarify what you said so someone can respond to you:

So you had no issues until you loaded down the rear of the truck? and when you put it in 4wd to limp home, the front end was now higher (suspension drooped) than normal due to the squat in the rear?

·
on line
2,413 Posts
The damage is not typical. Could you post a few pictures to help clarify the damage. There might be something obvious in the pictures to us that you are overlooking.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
4-5 " lift is def enough to cause driveshaft issues without shims or a new DS( double cardan is common for that)

not sure what the t case has to do with rwd..

DS sheared off rear diff.. so CV joint failed?

almost sounds like you've got too much lift that the axles arent set up for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts