Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let's say you just plunked down for a lift, tires and are fully shrocked with a winch. Your X isn't as peppy anymore, eh?

Let's say you've added 400 lbs. (+ -) in amour and mods.

OEM curb weight 4350 lbs. ('05 4WD SE) + 400 lbs. = 4750 lbs.

4750 (new weight) / 265 (OEM hp) = 17.92 (HP per 1 lb of X) - a little heavy

OEM p/w ratio = 4350/265 = 16.41 (HP per 1 lb of X) Athletic and Spry

Now take the the new weight and divided by 16.41

4750/16.41 = 289.45 (New HP needed to feel like stock)

_______
24.45 (Additional HP needed to feel like stock )

Let's double check the math:

4750/289.45 = 16.41 (Back to OEM p/w ratio)

So, eek out those 25 some odd horses somehow. And tell me how!

***Note; this simple formula is specific to weight - not factors such as tire diameter, rolling resistance, gear ratios. etc.***

regards, Oz

·
on line
896 Posts
ouch plus there isn't a lot of viable options. I'll stick with slow crawling. I really do wish hypertech would come out with something, or any other company for that matter just to equal the amount the fj has

·
on line
78 Posts
Nitrous!!

Or Stillen blower... You could prolly add a few pounds hehe.

Does anyone make a tuner for these things?

·
on line
735 Posts
It never works out like stock power to weight ratio because you are going to have to spin the motor faster or sacrifice low end power to gain that much more on top. An honest 25 hp is pretty much the limit of bolt-ons and it won't be off-idle punch either. It might be slower at anything below 4000 rpm because your truck is still heavy during the low end lag cycle.

supercharging or bigger cubes will make it run better. My whole philosophy is keeping the weight to withing a couple hundred lbs of stock. adding a winch is 100 lbs (unless you get those new trick mini rockcrawl winch with all synthetic line) so a couple of skids and sliders is it. forget the steel bumpers (or make them minimalistic like jeep bumpers). heavy trucks break themselves.

·
on line
102 Posts
Or just take things out to compensate for the weight. Take out the rear seats & floor mats when not needed. Don't keep useless crap in your truck- if you're not going wheeling, carry the regular jack instead of a hi-lift and save a few pounds. Little things like that.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hence,,,the reason that I maintain the stock tire size, when off-roading.
I'm guessing they pay those engineers good money to figure the power to weight ratio ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts