Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: I’ve been a member here since February of 2007 when I bought my first xterra, which happened to be a 2wd. I quickly determined that I wanted 4wd, so I got this 2009 Off-Road for Christmas 2008.

Username: brett

Make: Nissan
Year: 2009
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road Edition
Color: Navy Blue

MODS

Interior:
Weather tech digital fit floor liners, 1st and second row.
Replaced the factory rear hatch lift cylinders
Added the interior hatch release mod from the the cargo area
Gentek 50-GENK50 rear view mirror (homelink, temp, auto dimming)
Autometer transmission temp gauge (custom install via sensor in transmission pan)
Relocated the VDC switch to accomodate the transmission temp gauge
OTTRATW switch for Derale fan (manually controlled, center console, side mounted)
Factory dash mount with Garmin 765T GPS
Dash mounted Scanguage: reading transmission, water temps, rpm's

Exterior:
RockyMtnX winch mount, integrated into front plastic bumper
Maxgear drop in roof rack with Raingler net
Warn M8000, contactor, series wound, with synthetic line
Powdercoated grey factory alloys: BFGoodrich AT KO2 LT265/75-16
Ice/snow inclement weather tires, on factory steelies: Firestone Winterforce UV
Rear diff breather modification
Installed nissan bug deflector
Weathertech side window deflectors
Grill black out using Rustoleum Bed Coating
Locking roof box mod
Melt mod
Removed factory mud flaps

Armor:
Shrockworks skids: rad, engine,transmission, transfer case, and gas tank
ARB differential cover
Shrockworks sliders
Maxterra rear bumper, receiver hitch and recovery points

Engine:
CSF 7029 aluminum radiator
Odyssey Battery 34R-PC1500T-A
Spacer for underneath Odyssey battery
Wix air filter
Warn winch Contactor mounted on lid of fuse box lid
Derale 16618 electric 8” fan installed on air-ATF cooler
Marine brass battery terminals

Fluids:
Mobil1 installed in diffs, engine, transfer case. Nissan Matic-S in transmission.

Suspension Front:
OME 2608 coils
OME 90003 Nitrocharger sport struts
Prothane 14-1123-BL front sway bar bushings

Suspension Rear:
OME CS061R Emu medum duty leaf springs
OME 60017 Nitrocharger sport shocks
OME Greasable rear shackle kit, poly bushings, Ubolts/nuts
Timbren springs/bump stops JRC01
{removed rear sway bar}

Gear:
ARB Awning 2000
ARB Deluxe Awning Room
Hi Lift Extreme 48” jack, off-road base, handle keeper, and lift mate
Tetrax Hi Lift slider bar adapter
Staun Tyre Deflators

PHOTOS

How it sits today:

This was from a side trip between Corkscrew and Hurricane Pass, Colorado.

This was the day I brought it home, 12/26/2008:

maXTERRA Rear Bumper:

This is from the road leaving out of Yankee Boy Basin:

The bung I brazed into transmission pan, later the sensor screwed in here:

Where I mounted the transmission temp gauge in the dash:

Maxgear drop-in rack:

Raingler net for the Maxgear rack:

ARB Awning attached onto the Maxgear rack:

RockyMtnX mount and Warn m8000 winch installed:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't say enough good things about the ARB awning. It really makes the overnight fishing trips nice - gear stays dry if it rains, keeps the dew off everything. Been really enjoying it lately:

Here's some of our catch:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Very nice rig! Loved the custom Yakima X awning mount.

That's a lot of fish ya got there. I see cats, trout and even bass but what are the ones in the middle.. crappie/bluegill?

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is a beautiful X. I've been considering trading my Pro-4X wheels for some steelies and bigger tires. How do you like them?

Also, can you point me towards some directions for the interior cargo hatch release mod? That sounds extremely handy!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice rig! Loved the custom Yakima X awning mount.

That's a lot of fish ya got there. I see cats, trout and even bass but what are the ones in the middle.. crappie/bluegill?
Thanks for the compliments. All cats in the left column, mostly cats in the right column then transitioning into bass. Then, 104 crappie in the middle - which is what we were mainly after.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a beautiful X. I've been considering trading my Pro-4X wheels for some steelies and bigger tires. How do you like them?

Also, can you point me towards some directions for the interior cargo hatch release mod? That sounds extremely handy!
Pay attention to the for-sale listings, steelies can be had fairly cheaply. Especially if you don't have to ship. I paid $80 for my set, with center caps - they already had some bedliner sprayed on them though - didn't bother me.

I suggest setting up a secondary set for off-roading, keep the pro-4x wheels for street. I love the MT's off road, they don't pick up rocks, and they are there when you need them (we have plenty of mud, as you know). They are pretty loud on the highway though, especially around 30 mph.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here ya go http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27129&highlight=trunk+release

Look into the How-to section.. tons of useful info to customize the X.
Pay attention to the for-sale listings, steelies can be had fairly cheaply. Especially if you don't have to ship. I paid $80 for my set, with center caps - they already had some bedliner sprayed on them though - didn't bother me.

I suggest setting up a secondary set for off-roading, keep the pro-4x wheels for street. I love the MT's off road, they don't pick up rocks, and they are there when you need them (we have plenty of mud, as you know). They are pretty loud on the highway though, especially around 30 mph.
Thanks a ton guys!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Last summer I started noticing a problem with the finish on my factory off-road alloys which I use for everyday driving on street tires. Maybe a cleaner or something I used, I can't figure it out. I do not run these on salted roads either (which is rare here anyway). Even the spare alloy I have was exhibiting the problem (which was from a newer X, and always hangs face up underneath). Anyway, here is a sample of the problem developing on the wheels:

So I decided to have them blasted and powder coated a bit darker in a metallic gun-metal grey finish. The amount of sunlight really changes the look.

Late day full sun:

You can clearly see the difference near the center of the rim:

Early morning low light:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hi just wondering where did you get that roof rack at? I've been trying to find a rack exactly like that. how much does it weigh?
This is a prototype Maxterra made a while back, it's twin is on Strizzo's rig that he won at GONE Moab (pictures in his build thread). This one is made out of 12 gauge steel. Since then, he's built a few for locals out of 14 gauge and said it's sufficiently strong (he stood in it). I want to say it was 65 pounds, any newer ones would be less of course - I can still lift it over my head and slide it in the rack by myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts