Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this belongs here, but if not please feel free to move it to the proper section.

While driving my X the past few months, I noticed the brake pedal feeling softer than usual. A few times it even went to the floor. It occured before I installed the lift and after. I took it to the dealer 2 months ago and they bled the system... when I got it back the pedal was harder so I figured there was air in the system. It happened again a few weeks ago so I brought it back to the dealer and they did the same thing, again the pedal was harder when I got it back. Has anyone else experienced this? One thing I do notice is my brake fluid level dropping, but no leaks anywhere! Even the dealer inspected it with me standing there and could not find any leaks.

Also, my dad has a 2006 Pathfinder and it does the same thing. He took it to the dealer and when he got it back the pedal was harder. That was 7 months ago and now it is starting to do the same thing. I know this is something I should be worried about because it is my brakes! But has anyone else experienced this and possibly able to diagnose the problem? I am thinking the ABS system on my X and his Pathy are garbage.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Nope, never had that happen.

Are you hard on the brakes? Have you checked the pads? The fluid level will go down as the pads wear out. My pads (front and rear) were gone at about 32K miles.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the pads when I lifted the truck and there is still lots of meat left on it both front and rears. The first oil change i had done at the dealer (it was free!) i told them about the fluid level and they checked and topped it off. No i am not hard on the brakes, but i do notice the pedal feeling "spongy" or softer than before. As with the rotors they look like they are heating up pretty good (hot spots and discoloration) so my guess is the pads just suck for the weight of this vehicle.
even after driving down the freeway for 45 min the brakes get softer and it is hard to stop. I posted on the TEMP site, but now this is up... anyone else upgraded their braking system? Im keeping the stock 16" wheels so a big brake upgrade is out of the question. im just looking at better pads and rotors. I put Raybestos QS (quiet stops) pads and rotors on my 97 Jeep and they never failed me. 50k miles and they were still good so i am thinking about doing the same for the X

1 - 4 of 4 Posts