Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around the forums and couldn't find anything so I hope I didn't miss the topic..

Sometimes when I brake on wet roads, it feels like my front wheels lock up and I hear a loud clunk that I only feel in the brake pedal. Usually after I brake and turn the wheel slightly in either direction.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? First time it happened it scared the crud out of me. It's very noticeable.

·
on line
628 Posts
As far as I know that is the ABS activating. It felt odd to me as well at first, this is the only vehicle I have ever had that the ABS was that sensitive as a matter of fact, I had never felt the ABS activate before the Xterra.

·
on line
962 Posts
yup, it's the ABS...it sounds like it's skipping right?

I first experienced it when drifting on our beaches...then again when making a turn at a high rate of speed and then slowing down and turning all at the same time...I don't like it, but it'll be there when I need it.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Is it a clunk, or does it sound like fluttering or skipping? Because the skipping is normal ABS--the clunk, I'm not so sure.

Tell us more.

·
on line
266 Posts
very normal on the X. Same thing happens if you break, and just so happen to go over the bump. Takes a bit to get used to, but it is normal. At least you know your ABS is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts