Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a while back that there were some people that had some problems with their rear brake pads being almost completely worn out after 30,000 miles or less. I'm curious to find out if the people who had premature brake pad wear had automatics or manuals. I have a 2005 manual with almost 46,000 miles on it. My brakes have been squeaking for a while, so I checked them all last night. There was still roughyl 5/6 of the pad left! I guess I have to wait a little while longer to put on the new pads I ordered. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I replaced all four corners at around 25K miles or so on my Automatic 2005 OR. The rear pads were down to the metal.

Since then I have put close to 30K miles on my brakes (Bendix) and they are hardly worn.

The only thing I have changed were the pads. So my conclusion, the stock pads (at least for the March 2005 builds) are complete junk.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I'll be checking mine this weekend, I only have 15k but it's worth the look. I will try to report back on mine.

·
on line
516 Posts
Replaced Front brakes at approx 22k miles

·
on line
1,667 Posts
im getting ready to replace my fronts. i have about an 1/4" left on the original pads. oh, 43,000 miles.

-dan

·
on line
735 Posts
I have 23k on my 6 speed X and the pads looked at least at 75 percent when I last rotated the tires at 18k miles.

·
on line
45 Posts
Bwwaaahhahahaha! I have 70,689 miles on my X and have the original set of brakes! The last time I had the tires rotated, the mechanic said they had about 40% wear left. Note: I do have an outside sales job and spend hours and hours driving on the highway! WHO CAN BEAT MY RECORD????

·
on line
2,125 Posts
right now i have 35,blahblahblah miles and still looks to me like i have over 75% left on the pads. what kind of pads r these? i used to have to change brakes on my 95 blazer every 5 months or so. and they were the bendex kind too. so i think that im doing good so far.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Mine are squeeking now, but only when backing up! So I try not to back up anymore........ :blackeye:

·
on line
707 Posts
Bueller44 said:
Mine are squeeking now, but only when backing up! So I try not to back up anymore........ :blackeye:
Mine just started doing that a couple days ago too. I actually backed into my driveway so I wouldnt have to hear the squeak while backing up in the morning...must be a white X thing :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
1,054 Posts
my x is at 10k miles and has already had some issues with the breaks, i took the X in and they claimed to have lathed the rotors and cleaned the pads but when i picked it up and got it home the squealing was still going on, so i purchased some break cleaner and crawled underneathe and did it myself and not one squeal since. i do however think i'll be upgrading the breaks here in the near future.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Considering nothing is stuck (They slide and should be periodically lubed with a special lube, (Don't tell my dealer gives it to me, some brown crap) But aside a malfunction break wear is caused by poor driving habits and relative to the conditions. I have 50K miles on mine and they look new. Never changed em. If you off road you need to pay attenton to them, I could have grown a tree with the mud I have washed out of the vents with the wheel removed. (After each run) MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
See, I might think that it might have been my wheeling, driving habbits or even the heavy mods that led to the stock pads wearing out quickly. But as I said, the Bendix pads I have on there now have more miles than the stock pads had on them when I changed them and they look perfect. I have not changed my driving habbits or how I wheel (or clean up after wheeling). So I'll still stick to my guns that the stock pads are crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts