Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at almost 55K. Lately I've noticed a pretty bad shake / pulsing when applying the brakes. Feels like typical warped rotors to me. Plenty of pad left on all corners. Anybody else experiencing this or had to do any brake work yet?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow, you guys have 50+K on your X with the original pads? My pads were gone at about 25K.

I am still running the original rotors at almost 50K, and am not having any problems, but I can see the rotors warping. They don't appear to be the highest quality.

·
on line
53 Posts
23K and they get real shaky on long decents. dealer said he would replace up to 36K but they were still factory "junk". BMW practically gives you a set when you buy a new car. GMC only lasted 12K, what is it with rotors? Even the Powerstops from Summit I put on the GMC fell apart, literally broke off the hub! scary on the freeway off ramp, drove the rest of the way home with the emergency brake.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Alot of guys here have had excessive brake wear on their X's. Whatever you do... do the work yourself, brakes are so easy your grandma could do them. for some reason nobody knows that. The first time I ever even looked at new pads and rotors (I always had someone else do it for me) was when I upgraded mine on the X. It was so easy I couldnt believe that I had always paid some shop to do it for me. It is something you can do by yourself even if you have no Idea what you are doing. So I say spend the money on upgraded parts that you would have on labor, and do it yourself.

Just make sure when you put new rotors on that you properly torque the lug nuts on your wheels when you put them back on, that is one good way to mess your rotors up.

good luck

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, disc brakes are pretty simple. Drums, although simple after you do it enough, is not so easy for your first timer...so unless you have done drum brakes before, you might not want to fool with the e-brake on the X.

·
on line
155 Posts
At 65K I have the same issue. I only notice it when I have 4-5 people or coming down a mountain pass. Brake pads have 30-40% left front and back. I thought about having the rotors turned and buying new pads, or I guess even throwing the old ones on. I think i'll just live with it for another 10K or so and then buy slotted rotors & semi-metalics on all 4's. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

·
on line
2,276 Posts
Have a brake shop measure the run-out on the rotors, you want to aim for .002" or less. (Or you can buy a new run-out guage $200+ and learn to use it)

It also never hurts to pull your rotors off (index them first), clean and then re-mount and use a breaker bar vs. impact.

·
on line
251 Posts
Muzikman said:
Wow, you guys have 50+K on your X with the original pads? My pads were gone at about 25K.

I am still running the original rotors at almost 50K, and am not having any problems, but I can see the rotors warping. They don't appear to be the highest quality.
What kind of pads and rotors are you going to run when it's time to do the breaks

·
on line
155 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts