Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I am replacing brakes on all 4 corners. I have Centric ( from tire rack) on my daily driver for about a year and so far I and have loved them. I have had good luck with Wagner in the past. I see postings about bosh, raybestus, and bosh. All about the same cost, anyone want to talk me out of Centrics. If so what is you pick?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Recently replaced my pads with Raybestos EHT (element3?)

Very pleased

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Rockauto.com was best price I found by alot

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tried powerstop z23 on the rear. Not impressed. They didn’t get close to the outer edge of the rotors and the grip is so so. Have raybestoes EHT on the front. Decent for the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put Wagner E series rotors and their OEx pads on my ‘05. I just bought the X and did not like the feel of the brakes on it (they were about shot). I read up on the Nissan soft brake pedal issue. After I installed rotors and pads and bled brakes, I’ve got a nice firm brake pedal. Pep boys is having a Wagner sale right now, 20% off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remembered how great the Centrics were on my old 𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐨 cross Mazda 3 and they have been great on my Dailey driver so I ordered them for the Terra. We will see how they do on a heavier vehicle. I just updated this thread with a pic so anyone get the kit # on rock auto ( rotors and pads) if they turn out to be good. There are 2 types of Centrics and I have never tried their cheaper model because their higher end stuff is still cheap. I will post full review mid summer for anyone who cares

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I recently installed the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors, with EHT pads and they feel a lot better than the OEM stuff. I changed them out at about 65K miles. I had the Centric brakes on my Frontier and, in my opinion, those didn't feel as good as the Raybestos brakes I have now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't mean to thread jack but just a question. I recently purchased the raybestos element 3. Install all 4 pads, no rotors. I have noticed a sound when in reverse. Right at the end of braking in reverse (right before actually stopping) there is a slightly knock sound. Sounds like either both front or just the driver side. Almost like the pads are shifting inside the caliper or something. I installed all the new hardware that came with the pads. Cleaned and greased the slide pins and torque everything to spec. The only thing I noticed was that the previous pads didnt have the little V shaped clip wire on the tops of the fronts. I installed the clips on the new brakes. I tried the search function but didnt get anything. Any ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With brakes you should take it to a
Mechanic but if you are like me ...I would take a paint pen or nail polish and mark the caliper and pad with a line where they meet up and we’re you can get to easily. Stop in reverse and look at the line and see if it is still lined up. If it is still lined up drive for a few clunks sadly and then look at the paint again and see if where it is worn And take notice were. If no ware on the paint then I would say your pads are not shifting.... I am
Not a mechanic and probably watched to many episodes of Mcgiver when I was young.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't mean to thread jack but just a question. I recently purchased the raybestos element 3. Install all 4 pads, no rotors. I have noticed a sound when in reverse. Right at the end of braking in reverse (right before actually stopping) there is a slightly knock sound. Sounds like either both front or just the driver side. Almost like the pads are shifting inside the caliper or something. I installed all the new hardware that came with the pads. Cleaned and greased the slide pins and torque everything to spec. The only thing I noticed was that the previous pads didnt have the little V shaped clip wire on the tops of the fronts. I installed the clips on the new brakes. I tried the search function but didnt get anything. Any ideas?
Those clips are springs that just help release the brakes when you let off the brake. If I remember right there should be one on top and one on bottom on each side. They fall off. I think 3 of 4 were missing when I did my brakes. Not sure on your clunk.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The stock pads are still good at 130k. Nothing bad in the brakes. I see no reason to second guess what the original engineers designed. When I need brakes, going to get a set of stock Nissan pads.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have these and they have been great so far, over a yr now. I got pads and rotors at the same time, since they were having a sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed Bosch quietcast rotors and pads on my front. Very smooth and quiet, no issues. Plan to go ahead and do rear rotors and pads as well with the Bosch quietcast. Very happy with the purchase and installation so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts